C4ISRNET Staff Reporter
C4ISRNET, a Sightline Media Group brand, covers emerging issues and trends in global military transformation and network centric warfare technologies, products and services for federal government managers, defense, and industry. Our readers are decision-makers at the Pentagon, Capitol Hill and defense contractors throughout the world.
At Sightline, the beat reporters are the core of the organization. They break stories, provide indispensable scoops, write best-of-class enterprise stories and develop plugged-in sources who help readers understand what drives military policy and acquisition.
We have an immediate opening for a reporter.
This job requires:
- A thorough interest in and understanding of emerging defense technology, or an aptitude to learn it quickly.
- Digesting and reporting military data and trends as well as what’s on the minds of military officials, defense contractors, technology developers and thought leaders.
- Communicating closely with an editor and other reporters to make sure C4ISRNET is covering all important topics.
- The flexibility to juggle reporting and writing daily, weekly and monthly news and enterprise stories, both for print and online.
- Developing a deep network of sources to stay ahead of the competition.
- Routinely filing freedom of information requests when agencies and the military won’t cough up the goods.
- Crafting ambitious magazine cover stories to include profiles, investigations and explainers.
- Occasionally appearing on camera or podcasts to discuss your work.
Our ideal candidate has at least two years of relevant journalism experience and:.
- Proactive beat reporting experience and a proven track record of finding scoops.
- An obsession with objective journalism, both in the newsroom and in your public image, and a history of producing balanced and fair news stories.
- Strong knowledge of and adherence to Associated Press style.
- The ability to get stubborn sources to call you back, open up and then call back again. Bonus points if this already has happened with Elon Musk.
- A professional, positive and energetic attitude that can garner respect from industry leaders, military officials and media professionals alike.
- Creativity and a contemporary approach to storytelling across digital and print platforms.
We don’t want a stenographer or a reactive reporter. We want someone who is thinking about what’s next, looks past buzzwords, won’t be easily led and thinks hard about the consequences of every decision. The story of the day might not be a good fit for our readers, while an overlooked story might be very consequential.
Sometimes the job requires parsing the nitty-gritty of defense legislation or combing through budget books. We sweat details. Our editors value accuracy, clarity and a good story.
Sightline is the leading news organization covering military, defense, C4ISR and cyber defense. Its publications include Defense News, Military Times, Army Times, Navy Times, Marine Corps Times, Air Force Times, C4ISRNET, and Federal Times.