Sightline Media Group has an opening for a senior managing editor to lead several news organizations, including C4ISRNET, the home for Defense News’ reporting on military communications and emerging technologies from AI to 5G, and Federal Times, the essential news source for U.S. government employees.
C4ISRNET and Defense News are leading news outlets covering the business side of national security. Our readers are decision-makers at the Pentagon, Capitol Hill and military bases throughout the world as well as industry executives.
Our approach is to think of the reader first, and this editor will work with the design and digital teams to ensure the web site and magazine do just that through traditional stories, exclusives, explainers, videos and data-driven features.
You will lead a collaborative editing team that values accuracy, clarity and definitive storytelling. We want someone who looks past buzzwords, won’t be easily led and thinks hard about the consequences of every decision.
This job includes:
- Guiding talented reporters in the full array of editorial approaches to journalism, from investigative reporting to narrative writing, beat development and digital stories. Coordinating and overseeing the smooth editing and production of stories.
- Helping to lead the newsroom.
- Planning and organizing speakers and panels for events. This includes both the annual C4ISRNET conference and Cyber Con events.
- Working closely with the marketing and advertising team on custom projects.
Our ideal candidate has at least five years of relevant journalism experience and:
- A mix of copy-editing talent and supervisory editing skills to help guide daily stories and present them to get attention. You’re a pro at spotting errors, championing style and writing headlines, leads and nut grafs.
- Experience editing for print to help create pages for the monthly Defense News magazine.
- The ability to execute a variety of editor tasks, such as vetting op-eds and freelance pitches, helping with social media posts and strategy and curating homepages.
- Strong news judgement and critical thinking
- A collaborative, but assertive management style
- A positive, energetic attitude
- Creativity and a contemporary approach to storytelling.
- A knowledge of the defense IT and global security market is a plus.
Sightline is the leading news organization covering military, defense, public sector, federal technology, C4ISR and cyber defense. Its publications include Defense News, Military Times, Army Times, Navy Times, Marine Corps Times, Air Force Times, C4ISRNET, and Federal Times. Sightline’s award-winning journalism offers coverage from around the globe, while headquartered in the Washington, DC area. Sightline Media offers advertisers a wide range of platforms to reach their target audience. From digital and mobile solutions to events, to thought leadership, publications, video and custom options, Sightline works with clients on opportunities that have credibility, integrity, engagement and impact. Visit sightlinemediagroup.com for more information.