Military Times is a trusted, independent source of news and information directly affecting service members, veterans and their families. Our readers are troops deployed and in garrison, veterans, family members, decision-makers at the Pentagon, Capitol Hill and at military bases throughout the world.
At Military Times, we are looking for a news editor. This is a key newsroom position overseeing editing and posting of staff and wire stories, coordinating commentaries and book excerpts as well as leading newsletter distribution and social media engagement.
- Rapidly edit stories to ensure they are accurate in fact and context, highly readable and help the reader make sense of the complex world of the military and veterans and post to homepages and social media sites.
- Work with our award-winning team of editors and reporters to edit and publish stories late in the daily news cycle, adding elements like still and video images, hyperlinks and social media links when applicable.
- Post wire stories when applicable.
- Ensure we are staying atop of the competition.
- Minimum of four years editing experience at a news organization.
- Strong editing, writing and reporting skills and familiarity with AP style.
- Work well under pressure and be able to simultaneously handle multiple assignments.
- Ability to find additional story elements like still and video and social media links.
- Have a solid grasp of the role social media plays in news gathering, dissemination and branding and how to maximize its use to grow audience.
- Previous coverage of national security is strongly preferred.
- Video production skills preferred, but not required.
- Veterans greatly encouraged to apply.
We want someone who looks past buzzwords, won’t be easily led and thinks hard about the consequences of every decision. Our editors value accuracy, clarity and a good story.
MilitaryTimes.com is a part of the Sightline Media Group, formerly known as the Army Times Publishing Company, which first published Army Times in 1940. Throughout its history, the company has a strong heritage and tradition of meeting the highest standards of independent journalism and has expanded with publications serving all branches of the U.S. military, the global defense community, the U.S. federal government, and several special interest, defense-oriented industry sectors.
MilitaryTimes.com provides quality, unbiased reporting on issues important to the military community.