Sightline Media Group is the leading news organization covering military, defense, public sector, federal technology, C4ISR and cyber defense. Our independent, award-winning journalism offers coverage from around the globe, from Sightline headquarters in the Washington, DC area to bureaus and correspondents in the U.S. and around the world. Sightline Media offers our business clientele a wide range of platforms to reach the market. From digital and mobile solutions to events, thought leadership, publications, video and custom options, Sightline works with clients on opportunities that have credibility, integrity, engagement and impact.
The Custom Content Editor initiates, prepares and executes custom and native content for the Sightline Media brands, working with editors from both business-to-government brands (Defense News, C4ISRNET, Federal Times and Fifth Domain) and consumer brands (Military Times) to establish concepts/products that would drive interest from the core readership, while collaborating with the business department to gage potential for product sponsorship, and identify required deliverables for sponsors. The role would produce and manage thought leadership content across the various mediums – web/mobile, video, newsletters, print and events – which would be made available on the websites as sponsored content in compliance with editorial standards. The Editor of Custom Content actively works with key government and defense agencies and industry influencers to execute on projects supported by sponsors – writing articles, identifying and recruiting speakers for events, conducting interviews for thought leadership pieces, and moderating panel discussions on camera and at live events. This individual will know how to use artful and contemporary storytelling techniques to transform boilerplate marketing messages into relevant and timely content that engages and informs audiences, while also achieving the desired exposure for the client. This individual would be involved in native and custom campaign imagining from the start: providing the business team with the a menu of native product offerings to meet the needs of the client and educating the client on the benefits of those offerings.
Reporting to the Executive Editor of the Business-to-Government group, with the business side as an internal customer, the Editor of Custom Content will have or gain an expertise and understanding of the military and defense market, as well as the federal technology/IT services space, providing idea generation before proposals reach clients for projects that will be a fit for the missions of the various Sightline Media brands and also provide an opportunity for those sponsors to gain more exposure for their market position.
- Content creation: Develop, plan, prepare and execute custom content for the Sightline Media brands to appeal to both brand audience and potential sponsors. Develop and grow the traffic and audience for custom projects/thought leadership components, engaging in all product platforms – web/mobile, social media, video, newsletters, print and events. Act as host/moderator for video projects and events as needed.
- Project development: Play a leadership role for custom projects by conceiving of new concepts and working with editorial and business teams to execute.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or similar field
- Experience in news media preferably in digital, print, and video form
- Experience/familiarity in defense and government IT markets
- Experience with events, webcasts and custom products
- On-camera experience a plus