Reporter, Military Systems
Sightline Media Group is the leading news organization covering military, defense, public sector, federal technology, C4ISR and cyber defense. Our independent, award-winning journalism offers coverage from around the globe, from Sightline headquarters in the Washington, DC area to bureaus and correspondents in the U.S. and around the world.
Modern warfare is defined today less by sea, air and land platforms and more by the technology systems that work in tandem with those platforms to ensure effective communications and battlefield dominance for the war fighter. Sightline Media is looking for a Reporter for C4ISRNET, the premiere brand covering the dynamic and fast-growing, network-based defense community. This position will include writing enterprise packages and working sources for exclusives about developments in missile defense; intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance; geointelligence, satellites; sensors; and battlefield mobility – among other areas.
We want someone who will forge strong relationships within the defense technology community and the companies in and around the beltway and beyond. The right candidate will feel comfortable producing one to two items a day, via writing, curating, and aggregating, some of which will include multimedia. He or she will be able to juggle enterprise, longform reporting as well as quicker news briefs. We’re looking for a modern journalist who is comfortable attending and participating in industry events, both as a reporter and a brand ambassador. Strong writing skills and a discernible, engaging voice are critical for this position.
U.S. defense and intelligence officials and defense industry executives rely on C4ISRNET for information on advanced weapons platforms, sensor systems, and command and control centers that provide information advantage, battlefield dominance, speed of command and mission effectiveness.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or similar field is preferred.
- 2+ years in news media, preferably both digital and print. Experience on video a plus
- Experience reporting about military technology and/or contracting a plus
- Experience with events a plus
- Basic and fundamental MS Office skills, ability to comprehend and work in content management systems, social media skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills, with an ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills