Sightline Media Group is the leading news organization covering military, defense, public sector, federal technology, C4ISR and cyber defense. Our independent, award-winning journalism offers coverage from around the globe, from Sightline headquarters in the Washington, DC area to bureaus and correspondents in the U.S. and around the world. Sightline Media offers our business clientele a wide range of platforms to reach the market. From digital and mobile solutions to events, thought leadership, publications, video and custom options, Sightline works with clients on opportunities that have credibility, integrity, engagement and impact.
Military Times, one of SMG's brands is looking for a fast and graphically-minded video editor to join its team of video journalists in producing top-level content for our military and civilian audience. As a military-focused news publication, we are a quick response force for news regarding soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines, and we are looking for an imaginative and dynamic video editor to help us forge new ground on both the web and social media.
The successful candidate should have:
- Command of the Adobe suite of editing software (particularly Premiere and After Effects)
- A solid working ability with After Effects and the desire to develop more skills (graphics- and maps-based explainers will be a part of the weekly workload here)
- The ability to cut quickly and turn around video on a newsroom’s need for pace
- Ability to shoot basic video/photos as needed
- A knowledge and/or interest in the military and national security beat
- A desire to explore new formats for news video
- A working command of what works online and on social platforms for video
We are looking for four things above all: speed, flexibility, news sense and creativity. We are developing new video products with more to come in the future, along with video accompaniment of breaking and daily news stories, so there is room for innovation and growth.
A news background is preferred for this position, but we will consider talented video editors from other fields with the above qualifications.
Prior military experience or familiar with the military is also preferred.