Sightline Media Group is the nation’s leading news enterprise serving the Military, Defense, and Federal communities. Our prestigious and industry-leading media brands include: Military Times, Defense News, Federal Times and C4ISRNET, and serve the entirety of the defense and federal establishment, from senior leadership to the rank and file US military service members.
We are looking for an experienced email newsletter manager to help accelerate the growth and content distribution of Sightline Media’s 10 publishing brands that entertain and inform the military audience and the defense industries that support them. Email marketing and newsletters are a core part of our business and we’re looking for fresh insight into design, deployability, audience development and retention as well as cutting-edge email editorial content and best practices. We need someone who is full of ideas and up to date with knowledge of how to draw in, engage and keep readers to a publishing brand’s content.
- Excellent communication skills
- Passion for news content, audience development and digital distribution
- Familiar with HTML and DreamWeaver and Photoshop
- Deep experience with interpreting traffic data and newsletter analytics; experience with Sailthru a plus
- Highly organized and able to multitask and prioritize
- Enjoys the continuously changing nature of digital journalism
- A strong evangelist for new ideas and a creative, strong collaborator
- A demonstrated record of success in growing and engaging audiences via email
- Familiarity with email marketing laws and standards
- Experience leading fast-paced projects that involve journalists, developers, designers
- A strategic thinker with a passion for experimentation and a facility for data
- Research the opportunities for editorial newsletters and present recommendations about product and strategy to Digital Department and Editorial leadership.
- Test and track reader habits and trends around existing and new newsletters, providing regular presentations to the department’s senior editors and suggesting areas of improvement and opportunities for goal-oriented experimentation.
- Work on tactics and conduct tests to build subscription rate, open rates and audience of newsletters.
- Work with Marketing on one-off promotional emails for special coverage and promotions.
- Grow user lists utilizing cross-promotional marketing strategies, contests, and social paid promotions
- Develop and execute a clear editorial strategy for SMG newsletter products that is informed by analytics, audience insights and news judgment
- Manage Customer Service boxes for newsletters
- Analyze campaign performance and suggest improvements across brands
- Carry out segmentation of the database and implementing re-engagement strategies.
- A/B Testing on various email campaigns to establish the most effective delivery strategy
- Ensuring all email campaigns comply with current email best practice in the industry, including knowledge of CAN-SPAM and GDPR restrictions
- Work closely with the Audience Dev to develop a clear CRM strategy.
- 5+ years of work experience working at a digital publication, communications, or political advocacy organization
- Proven track record of growing a brand’s audience through email lists and/or social media
- Strong writing and editing skills, detail-oriented, and ability to adhere to tight daily deadlines
- Proficiency with third-party email service providers such as MailChimp and SailThru
- Experience with A/B testing and developing strategy based on analytics
- Working knowledge of the U.S. armed forces, military lifestyle, defense and cybersecurity industries
- Excellent news judgment and commitment to the highest standards of journalism