Trusted and loved by 25 million educators, students, and families worldwide, Seesaw is the only elementary learning experience platform, offering a suite of award-winning tools, resources, and curriculum for teachers to deliver joyful, inclusive instruction. Through interactive lessons, digital portfolios, and two-way communication features, Seesaw keeps everyone in the learning loop by providing continuous visibility into the student's learning experience to support and celebrate their learning.
Seesaw’s mission is to provide every elementary student with joyful and connected learning experiences that lay the foundation for success in life.
This Engineering Manager will be managing the members of our Student Learning team here at Seesaw – a versatile, full-stack team sitting on the forefront of enhancing the learning experience for students. This team is dedicated to crafting multi-modal creative tools that empower students to complete assignments while assisting teachers in assignment creation and curriculum development for the Seesaw library. Moreover, this team excels in harnessing the power of data, providing comprehensive reporting capabilities for assignments and integrating AI, like ChatGPT, to create engaging assessments.
Solving impactful problems on Seesaw’s Engineering team feels different from any other place. First, we are given lots of ownership over the product roadmap early on, collaborating on how and when things will be built from the start. Second, we have a strong connection to the user, listening to teacher feedback and observing how students and families interact with the platform in real life to iterate over our releases. And third, we enjoy ample autonomy to experiment and grow, and often see our ideas pushed to production in weeks, not months.
Globally, millions of children rely on Seesaw every day. That fact is inspiring, and at times, daunting. While we derive a deep sense of purpose from being able to improve students’ learning, it also means we’re emotionally invested in both the successes and failures. So when a child can’t log into their account or something on the platform breaks, we feel it.
Like the rest of the company, our team is growing fast. Keeping up with the pace of growth can be challenging, and we need your flexibility as we define and refine what we need to be. We often learn by shipping, so you won’t find an obsession with rigid processes here. As the Engineering team ramps up hiring, we’re committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI); constantly surveying employees, participating in training, and learning from our DEI Committee.
Though we care deeply and work diligently, there’s no extra credit for working long nights or spending weekends squashing bugs. When we’re off, we’re really off, enjoying our personal lives and recharging our batteries.
At the end of the day, we delight in how much our users adore our product. It’s incredibly fulfilling to read thank you tweets from teachers and know that, hey, we built something that makes a meaningful impact! And while we saw massive growth during the pandemic, we’ve still got a lot more growing to do. Joining our team now means you’ll get to help us take on new markets and innovate the next features that make the learning experience even better.
Seesaw is seeking an experienced Engineering Manager to lead our full-stack Student Learning engineering team. As an Engineering Manager at Seesaw, you will have the opportunity to help engineers grow and teams thrive, solve complex technical challenges at a significant scale, and build a product loved by millions of teachers, students, and family members worldwide. You will influence our product roadmap, our technical architecture, and our engineering culture, laying a strong foundation for our next phases of growth.
- Grow and develop an exceptional engineering team through hiring, career development, coaching, and performance management
- Own the engineering outcome of your team’s work through an effective process, clear goal-setting, and an effective balance of product and technical investment
- Provide technical and organizational guidance to both your team members and your peers in the engineering team
- Partner with VP of Engineering, Product Managers and Designers on product strategy
- Foster an environment of teamwork and diverse and inclusive culture that reflects Seesaw’s values
- Occasionally engage in hands-on coding and architectural design: Collaborate with the engineering team as needed, providing technical expertise and guidance. Be prepared to write and review code, contribute to architectural design discussions, troubleshoot technical issues, and offer support during critical development phases, ensuring the successful delivery of high-quality software products.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field
- 5+ years experience in a software engineering role with 1+ years experience directly managing a team of software engineers
- You have actively helped ship web and native mobile software used by millions of users
- You have demonstrated ability to actively engage in coding, architectural discussions, and technical problem-solving when necessary
- You have a deep understanding of technologies and best practices to build products
- You love listening to engineers and helping them succeed in their career paths
- You are experienced in recruiting and onboarding new hires
- You possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- You are adaptable and can thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment
Compensation & Benefits:
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry. Salary is just one part of our total compensation package that includes equity, perks & benefits, and development opportunities at Seesaw. Individual pay decisions are based on several factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skillset, geography, and balancing internal equity relative to other Seesawers. It is our expectation that the majority of candidates who are offered roles at Seesaw will land well within our salary ranges based on these factors.
The annual base salary range for this position is: $165,890 - $197,000 + RSUs
This is an exempt position.
Benefits include: Medical/Dental + Orthodontics/Vision Coverage, 401k Match, Flexible Paid Time Off, Mindfulness First Fridays, Monthly Technology Stipend, Home Office Setup Stipend, Professional Development Stipend, Paid Parental Leave, Charitable Donation Matching, Volunteer Days.
Seesaw cares about building a diverse and inclusive team to better advocate for the needs of our incredibly diverse K-12 users.
We prioritize work-life balance and actually walk the walk — we care a lot about our work, but care more about our employee's well-being. We encourage everyone to work at a sustainable pace and have a flexible vacation policy that people actually use.
Seesaw provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religious creed, color, sex, sex stereotype, gender, gender identity/gender expression/transgender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information/characteristics, marital status/registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, or military or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, Seesaw complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Seesaw is committed to protecting your personal data. Learn more about the personal information we collect, how we use it, and how to exercise your rights here: U.S. Privacy Notice.
Our company participates in E-Verify.