The tax advisor read the story of Cinderella to their four-year-old for the first time. After the story the four-year-old asked, "when the pumpkin turned into a golden coach, would that be classed as income or a long-term capital gain?"
Do you and the four year old have something in common? Then read on to see if you are a fit.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity for a Tax Manager to join the Finance team of a dynamic, fast growing, tech-enabled business. The Tax Manager role is critical in supporting the expansion of Secret Escapes’ global operations. The role reports directly to the Finance Director.
Questions you will help answer or problems we are trying to solve
- How do we ensure we stay on top of our compliance and reporting requirements without inhibiting our ability to move fast?
- How do we effectively monitor and manage our tax risks across all of the jurisdictions within which Secret Escapes’ operates?
- How do we optimise our tax position?
- How do ensure we stay on top of tax legislation in the ever changing tax landscape?
- How do we deliver tax advice on new business initiatives to key stakeholders within the Secret Escapes business?
We operate as both a disclosed agent for third parties and as principal as a tour operator with operations in over twenty countries. Consequently, tax and tax compliance is an area of high importance within the business.
Things you’ll be working on
- You will be responsible for leading and delivering a high quality global tax function and maintain responsibility for all aspects of reporting, compliance and advisory for tax.
- You will be responsible for setting the strategy for tax matters and monitoring and maintaining the Group’s tax controls.
- You will be responsible for supporting and advising on tax matters across all taxes within the group - including Corporate Tax, Employment Tax, Value Added Tax and Transfer Pricing, with specific focus on Transfer Pricing and Value Added Tax (including the Tour Operating Margin Scheme ‘TOMS’).
- You will be responsible for building relationships with the various functional business heads and overseas offices to become the key point of contact for tax matters.
- You will be responsible for choosing, instructing and managing our external advisors as well as maintaining and developing the relationships.
- You will partner with Finance, Legal, HR, key stakeholders / execs to ensure a cohesive approach to managing tax matters.
- You will be responsible for monitoring new tax legislation and keeping on top of the evolving tax landscape to ensure the business is always well ahead of the game for any changes that may be required.
- You will be responsible for managing any tax audits and co-ordinating responses to tax authority enquiries.
- You will be working closely with the Finance team and external advisors across multiple jurisdictions to support tax and financial reporting.
- You will work closely with Finance and Legal in delivering training to the rest of the business. This may on occasion involve some international travel.
The deal breakers
- You will be able to demonstrate practical and extensive experience of managing tax affairs.
- You will be CTA (preferred) and/or ACA qualified.
- Preferably you will have previous experience within a Big 4 accounting firm.
- You will have a solid history either in practice or industry following qualification.
- You will have a strong knowledge of controls, process and systems.
The nice to haves
- You will have detailed knowledge in at least one key tax specialism, preferably VAT (and be familiar with the Tour Operators Margin Scheme) or Transfer Pricing. Willingness to learn also considered.
- Previous experience of an ‘in-house’ role is an advantage but not critical.
- You will have experience with accounting for income taxes under IFRS and local GAAPs.
- This role is a global role and experience and knowledge of the tax regimes across multiple countries is strongly desirable.
And you are…
- Keen to have real ownership - this is a stand-alone role within the business and therefore you will need to be enthusiastic about operating autonomously at times and managing your own workload in a fast-moving, dynamic environment.
- Have the ability to work under tight deadlines, manage multiple stakeholders (internal and external) maintaining attention to detail due to the data-intensive business environment.
- A problem-solving individual.
- A team player and highly motivated.
- An excellent communicator at all levels with tenacious interpersonal skills.
- A master of juggling – managing many projects simultaneously.
- Willing to get stuck in on learning other areas of tax outside of your specialism.
Things you should know
Whilst this will be a stand-alone role, you will receive support on tax compliance and reporting matters from the reporting team (dotted reporting line into the Tax Manager).
Our team is very international: despite Finance being based in London, your colleagues hail from all around the World! Brownies, cookies and assorted sugary goodness from around the globe are ever-present within the team from all over Europe and beyond!
We are a hard-working team but also love to socialise with each other. As a team we are partial to some random and off the wall activities - think niche animal knowledge quizzes and developing key life skills in arts & crafts. If you’re a hard-working, driven individual with a sweet tooth and a love for tax but also enjoy some random trivia / arty moments, then this team is perfect for you!
We are an equal opportunity employer:
Diversity and inclusion are important to us at Secret Escapes and we encourage a culture where everyone can be themselves at work. We value and actively seek out a richly diverse range of talent and our policies ensure that every job application and employee is treated fairly, with equal opportunity to succeed. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to any characteristic protected by law.