We are looking for a strong technical person with leadership experience to join our technical team as a Lead Engineer. This is an amazing opportunity to work in a fast paced environment towards strategic goals by leading one of our product delivery teams.
About Secret Escapes
Secret Escapes is the UK’s biggest members-only website that runs best-in-market flash sales of four and five star hotels and holidays worldwide. We offer our members exclusive rates of up to 60% off.
We're looking for hard working self starters to join the team, who can keep up with the pace and want to make a difference. We still work in relatively small teams, so there's no room for coasting along. We're friendly, happy, and most importantly, we work hard. We're not afraid to be hands-on and we're all genuinely passionate about our brand.
Things you’ll be working on:
- Providing direction and apply technical expertise in the design, implementation and delivery of software features
- Collaborating with Product Managers to scope and estimate optimal solution for business problems
- Being accountable for the performance of the team
- Assist team members and help them grow through mentoring and constructive feedback
- Working with other Lead Engineers to address common issues and define, document and distribute best practices and standards
- Building and promoting healthy relationships with stakeholders
- Identifying areas of improvement for team members and work with the relevant line managers to create development plans
- Providing transparency to the rest of the team and the organisation
- Learning new technologies and help introduce them where appropriate
- Actively participating in the recruitment efforts of the team
How the magic happens
Our delivery teams are focusing on business initiatives/goals and implement ideas to achieve them. The teams are cross-functional with a mix of Product Managers, Interaction Designers, Full-stack/Front-end engineers.
The web platform and supporting systems are built on Groovy/Grails, Python 3.6, React, Typescript, MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, Jenkins, Linux, Docker, Ansible, Terraform and more. Our processes are modern and forward thinking, we work in an agile way, follow TDD and deploy to production up to 7 times a day!
Continuous improvement is a key principle of the team and it's important that everyone is always improving both technically and professionally. The business provides opportunities to further their careers and hone their skills through individual development plans, as well as a generous budget for training.
The deal breakers:
- Excellent software engineering knowledge & skills: OO programming, MVC and clean architecture patterns, design patterns, SOLID design principles and clean code
- Experience in working with MySQL, MongoDB and Redis as well as AWS technologies (Lamda, Cloudfront, S3, SQS, SNS and more)
- Some exposure to GraphQL, Terraform and Ansible would be really beneficial
- Adept at Test Driven Development and comfortable with pair programming
- Understand and appreciate the principles and practices of agile and lean ways of working
- Leadership skills, proven by prior experience in a commercial environment
- Excellent communication skills adaptable to both tech and business audiences
And you are…
- You are a self-starter who enjoys a rapid pace and wants to make a difference
- You are comfortable with tackling ambiguity and complexity and you champion simplicity
- You have a continuous improvement mindset. You appreciate that there are always ways to do things better and ensure your team does too
- You have preference to action-oriented behaviour with just enough analysis, as compared to too much time spent doing analysis with no action
- You appreciate that your code supports a business and care about how it will be used
- Have the ability to make decisions balancing different factors such as business requirements, technical integrity, overall priorities etc
- You are willing to explore new ideas and try out new tools
- You appreciate the opportunities and challenges of a distributed work environment
- You are solution focused with a pragmatic approach to problem solving
- You can prioritise tasks and work independently
- You’re a team player!
Things you should know
We are a geographically distributed team with people working in London, Berlin, Bristol, Poland, Macedonia, Spain, Ukraine so you will likely be working with some remote people on a daily basis. Between all of us we speak more than 10 languages!
In our offices we have opportunities to socialise and have fun as we play pool, darts and other games which we take full advantage of!
Every two weeks we have one day that we can spend on innovation and experimenting with ideas that would improve our business, customer experience and make our lives better while learning new concepts and technologies. In addition we organise ourselves in Communities of Practice to discuss and champion subjects of interest such as technical architecture, process or user research.
The company appreciates the value of the technical team and offers a generous training budget that we can spend on training classes, conferences, books etc.
For more info on the tech team and a look behind the scenes, check out the tech careers page here
We are an equal opportunity employer
Diversity and inclusion are important to us at Secret Escapes and we encourage a culture where everyone can be themselves at work. We value and actively seek out a richly diverse range of talent and our policies ensure that every job application and employee is treated fairly, with equal opportunity to succeed. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to any characteristic protected by law.