We're looking for a talented data warehouse developer to join our growing data team and help unify our data landscape into a single source of truth powering MI, deep-dive analyses and machine learning predictive models.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a Data Warehouse Developer with a penchant for data modelling to be an integral part of a thriving, profitable business, and help build a world-class data infrastructure that will be transformational for our people and our customers. The core set of Truth tables you will help build will:
- Power deep-dive analyses to answer questions that unlock the next growth lever for the business
- Enable analysts to become data champions in their respective teams
- Enable fast, easy, self-serve BI in every team, helping everyone to spend time on what really matters
- Flow straight into our data-science powered personalisation technology
How the magic happens
We collect data from dozens of data sources, ranging from transactional data, availability data, payments data, customer event-level data, voice-of-customer data, third party data and much much more. Our historical data runs into tens of billions of records and grows at a rate of tens of millions of records every day.
Our data is extremely varied, some being very finely-grained, event-level data, other being already aggregated to various degrees. It also arrives on different schedules!
Things you will be working on
- Unify heterogeneous, raw data sources into analytically-friendly tables to support deep dive analyses (single customer behaviour view, marketing attribution, performance drivers etc.).
- Build and maintain complex business logic in SQL
- Help to design, implement, optimise, evolve, support and deploy new and existing data models to support use-cases across MI, analysis and data science.
- Work cross-functionally with data scientists, marketing and commercial analysts to understand the business problems being tackled, the structures and relationships in our raw data, and translate the business logic into SQL.
- Take ownership and responsibility for implementing the business logic in SQL, testing code and logic thoroughly and ensuring best practices are used throughout - particularly with regard to self-explanatory code, maintainability and scalability.
- Work cross-functionally to integrate BI platforms onto our data warehouse, developing the schemas, aggregations and any data models sitting between the warehouse and business users.
- Support and coach analysts and data scientists on using SQL for data modelling and analysis.
- Work with fellow data engineers to help productionise analyses that are contributed by analysts and data scientists.
The Deal Breakers
- You live and breath SQL for data modelling.
- Proficient in writing performant, high quality, maintainable SQL code on large and very large datasets.
- Able to explore large, heterogeneous datasets of raw data to uncover their structure and understand the relationships.
- Understand the practical complexities of implementing deeply custom business logic rules, what can go wrong and preventative measures.
- Meticulous, careful validation of every join and intermediate table you create.
- You have experience of setting up and working with modern BI tools (e.g. Looker, Tableau, Power BI, etc)
And you are...
- Pro-active with a self-starter mindset; able to identify elegant solutions to difficult problems and able to suggest new and creative approaches.
- Analytical, problem-solving and an effective communicator ; leveraging technology and subject matter expertise in the business to accelerate our roadmap.
- Able to document business logic clearly, in plain English, in the code itself, making knowledge easily transferable to the wider team.
- Highly collaborative in work style
- Curious and inquisitive
- Willing to step outside your comfort zone to broaden your skills and learn new technologies
Nice to have
- Comprehension of data modelling techniques (one or more of Star Schema, Kimball, Data Vault etc)
- Some experience with Python as this is the engineering wrapper for all our SQL (you will be supported by fellow data engineers)
- Experience with MPP cloud data warehouses a big plus (Amazon Redshift, Snowflake)
- Experience or at least familiarity with modelling use-cases such as sessionisation and identity stitching a plus.
- Good understanding of Agile
Our stack is Python for the data pipeline, Airflow for orchestration and Snowflake is our data warehousing technology of choice. This is a chance to work with best-of-breed ETL/data warehousing tools and technologies. Our wider ecosystem of tools and partners includes Snowplow, Spark, Docker. Everything runs in AWS.
We are an equal opportunity employer:
Diversity and inclusion are important to us at Secret Escapes and we encourage a culture where everyone can be themselves at work. We value and actively seek out a richly diverse range of talent and our policies ensure that every job application and employee is treated fairly, with equal opportunity to succeed. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to any characteristic protected by law.