Who are we?
Sealed is a climate tech company on a mission to stop home energy waste and electrify all homes.
Sealed designs, manages, and finances home weatherization and electrification projects, making it easy and affordable for people to be more comfortable while using less energy. Our proven, holistic approach can reduce energy use by 50% and takes a home completely off of fossil fuels with upgrades like high-performance insulation, air sealing, and heat pump HVAC. Our expert team designs the right solution, matches top-rated local contractors, and manages the project start to finish. Sealed covers the upfront costs, and we’re accountable to impact: if we don’t cut the homeowner’s energy waste, we don’t get paid.
Sealed is venture backed, based in New York City with a remote-first work environment, and was featured as one of Inc. Magazine's 'Ventures that Embody the U.N.‘s Sustainability Goals'. Learn more at sealed.com.
What will you do?
Reporting into the Chief Product Officer, the Head of Data Science will build and lead a team of data scientists responsible for developing the data models that predict energy savings for Sealed customers. These energy savings predictions, and their counterfactuals, are critical to the success of Sealed’s business and impact. Sealed is rapidly growing and will need increasingly sophisticated models for different geographies (climate zones) and new product lines. Additionally, with the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), our data science team is exploring several new product opportunities that could quickly catapult Sealed onto the national stage.
The Head of Data Science will build and lead all data science operations for Sealed, serving as a “player-coach” and Subject Matter Expert (SME). This will include onboarding, training and development, organizational planning, and performance management for our data science team. This role requires an experienced leader who is prepared to take on the exciting challenge of building out a critical function within a fast-paced, high-growth business, while also actively working on and refining models first-hand.
What success looks like:
Success in the role includes the following traits:
You love getting your hands dirty in the data; you are constantly curious how new data and insights create opportunities for our business and customers
You enjoy peer reviewing / QAing other data scientist models and offering constructive feedback and coaching
You love building teams of people that are both incredibly talented and wonderful humans
You think about the big picture and can make investment cases for how incremental data science hiring can benefit the business
You are skilled at prioritizing the right work, in the right order, and ensure you and your team are executing against your plan
In addition to these traits, we see success rooted in these themes: collect, build, explore and transform.
Collect: Sealed already works with large datasets, and we are about to begin collecting much larger, first-party data. You will work with our data products and data engineering teams to develop a strategy for massive ingestion of third-party and first-party data to build the largest residential energy usage and home profile database in the US. You will ensure this data is modeled to support data analysis requirements from all internal stakeholders.
Build: Sealed is in an operational scaling mode and has a foundational data science team and processes in place. You will continue this work to build out a great team motivated to create business-changing capabilities alongside scalable processes for streamlined operations.
Explore: With this dataset as a foundation, you and your team will explore different business uses and new applications for this data, potentially including investment cases for what’s necessary to hit our goals. This can include, but is not limited to, evolving our energy usage and energy savings prediction models and creating a data-enabled user journey via new consumer and contractor facing applications.
Transform: We believe the work of this team can be transformative both for Sealed and the entire residential energy efficiency and electrification space. You will lead the roadmap development for the data science function in partnership with our Data Products leader, co-developing the major proprietary arm of the Sealed business. In addition, you will create insights and value that move the US housing stock off of fossil fuels quickly and profitably.
- 10+ years of experience with at least 3 years managing all functional areas of a Data Science department, including people management
- Experience with energy usage data
- Highly fluent in hands-on work, writing code, creating models, and peer reviewing and QAing teammates’ projects
- A track record of delivering data-driven solutions that have meaningful impact on customer experience and business success; a high sense of ownership
- Proficient in all modern data science methodologies and tools
- Experience with data querying languages (e.g. SQL), scripting languages (e.g. Python specifically the pandas, numpy and tensorflow libraries), and statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R)
- Experience with driving and maintaining source control processes using Gitlab
- Experience interfacing with Data Engineers for Machine Learning Operations on platforms such as VertexAI, Snowpark, etc.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with both technical and non-technical partners inside and outside the organization
- Strong, servant-leadership skills; motivated to develop people and manage to high performance / extraordinary results
- Ability and autonomy to work remotely and lead a remote-first team
- Low personal ego, but strong ambition and drive for both what is best for our customers and the organization’s mission to decarbonize and electrify homes
- Undergraduate and advanced degree(s) in quantitative field(s) - computer science, engineering, statistics, physics, mathematics, etc.
The expected salary range for this role is $200,000-$240,000. We understand that a "Head of" any group will require some flexing of compensation range in line with skills and experience. We’re eager to engage with all qualified candidates and consideration will be provided to experience and skill level.
Benefits & Perks:
- Flexible PTO
- Stock options
- Health benefits, including some focused on mental health and fertility treatments
- 401(k) plan
- Paid family leave
- Paid medical leave
- Home office set-up stipend
- Learning & development stipend
- Flexible work environment: work remotely from anywhere within the US or from our headquarters in NYC
If you need a nudge, this is it. We recognize that some people are less likely to apply for jobs when they don’t meet all of the requirements. But here’s the reality: Rarely do candidates fulfill 100% of the requirements. You have value to offer yet maybe not the confidence to recognize it. Take a chance and apply!