Our Mission at Scythe
DevOps Engineer at Scythe
Scythe's best-in-class autonomous off-road machinery is heading to customers and our testing needs continue to grow to continue verifying the performance, safety, reliability, and efficacy of all the software running both on and off of our robots. As a Scythe DevOps Engineer, you'll be responsible for driving this increased testing across all of Scythe's software and building out the infrastructure for all manner of tests to run regularly. From executing your typical CI tasks like compilation and unit tests to building specialized nightly dataset-replay-based computer vision test frameworks, you'll build integral infrastructure that advances Scythe's mission to take better care of Earth.
You’ll work in concert with teammates from across the company to grow Scythe's software testing abilities, coverage, and automation. We expect you to be broadly experienced to be able to “see around corners”, to thrive in a fast-paced, self-managed engineering environment, and to be a collaborative, low-ego teammate who helps Scythe realize its big mission.
What you’ll do at Scythe
- Improve and maintain automated testing systems across Scythe
- Develop systems for hardware-in-the-loop testing to safely and automatically exercise hardware-software integration
- Construct real-world dataset replay regression tests and the tools to measure performance changes
- Build tools for increasing testing across Scythe software, ranging from on-robot to cloud services
- Work closely with other software disciplines to scale their testing
- Write test libraries to make it easier and faster for other Scythers to write tests at all scales (unit, integration, system, hadware-in-the-loop)
What you know well
- Continuous Integration systems (e.g. Jenkins, Gitlab CI, Github Actions)
- Dynamic language development (e.g. Python, Typescript, JS)
- Shell scripting and build automation
- Linux programming and administration
- Distributed version control systems (e.g. git)
- Backend web development
- Deploying applications to the Cloud (we primarily use AWS)
- Cross-platform, multi-architecture software authoring and delivery challenges
- Good software practices for testing, deployment and security
What you’ve maybe done
- Gained proficiency with native code build processes: Rust, C, C++, Go
- Scripted "infrastructure as code" deployment tools like Terraform and/or Ansible
- Used observability and data visualization platforms and tooling like Grafana, New Relic, Kibana, and Datadog
- Deployed software to remote devices
- Worn lots of different hats across software development and built up a broad knowledge of software tooling and testing approaches
- Built hardware test automation systems
- Used cloud orchestration services like Kubernetes
- Scythe is an early-stage but well-capitalized startup. Have a huge impact alongside an awesome team of experts shipping something the world has never before seen.
- We've got real working off-road robots
- Competitive salary and equity compensation
- Fully-sponsored medical, vision, and dental insurance, including 50% funded dependent coverage.
- Headquarters near beautiful Boulder, CO. Enjoy the bounties of nature and open spaces close to home with mountain biking, hiking, skiing and more.
- Satellite offices in Austin, TX and Vero Beach, FL.
- Flexible paid time-off and remote work to let you do your best work where and when you want.
- Highly collaborative learning culture where personal freedom, growth, and responsibility are valued.
- An opportunity to have an incredible positive impact on the world
Scythe is a total compensation company, which provides employees a comprehensive salary, equity, and benefit package. However, only the minimum salary amounts are listed here. Scythe carefully considers a wide range of compensation factors, including education, years of experience, competencies and other relevant business considerations. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary along with your compensation mode preferences. The DevOps Engineer position has an expected minimum annual cash salary of $130,000. The actual pay may be higher depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience. Equity and benefits packages are NOT included in this estimate. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Scythe is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other factor protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.