Rocket Travel is looking for Fullstack Software Engineers with experience with backend and frontend experience JVM languages like Java, Groovy, and Kotlin and frontend experience with React or AngularJS to join our engineering team.
Today, we're a hybrid team headquartered out of Chicago's West Loop, with team members spread out across the globe from the domestic locales of Vermont to Florida, and Florianópolis, Brazil to Makati, Philippines. Today, we are currently fully remote, which is an option for this role, but once it’s safe to travel and our office reopens periodic trips to Chicago will be encouraged.
At Rocket, we encourage experimentation, so we're not a one language/framework shop. We hire people who know how to pick the right tool for the job and learn along the way. We work with Groovy and Kotlin on the backend. We work with Typescript and React on our newer frontend initiatives but we also have some legacy code on AngularJS
We expect you to be comfortable picking up backend, frontend, infrastructure, or testing work but you do not need extensive experience for any one of these.
As Fullstack Software Engineer at Rocket Travel, you will:
- Be involved in all facets of the software development lifecycle, from inception to deployment.
- Grow and develop your toolset in all aspects of software engineering - frontend skills in React, backend skills in the JVM, continuous integration and deployment, testing, security, privacy and DevOps.
- Evolve the Rocket toolkit by identifying and recommending the best tool for each task.
- Improve existing code to make it more testable, tested, and resilient.
- Use data to identify potential bottlenecks in our applications and processes.
- Work closely with other companies within our Group and get exposure to many highly available, scalable APIs that power some of the world's biggest travel brands.
- Deploy daily to highly-available applications.
- Maintain customer empathy and quickly solve pain points for customer's problems.
- Add visibility to critical applications and processes.
- Learn to write end to end tests for critical application code.
- Create A/B tests to bring our users a constantly improving experience.
At Rocket Travel, we’re building a diverse team that values accountability, curiosity, and community. If you share these values and are interested in joining us, we’d love to talk with you even if you don’t meet 100% of the requirements listed here. We don’t expect anyone to have all the answers, as long as they’re willing to learn and grow with us.
- You have a deep understanding of Java or another JVM language such as Kotlin, Scala or Groovy.
- You have experience working with an application deployed in production with customer traffic using React or Angular.
- You have an understanding of algorithms and data structures.
- You communicate clearly and effectively.
- You have deployed applications to AWS or a similar cloud provider.
- You are passionate about:
- sharing ownership and product direction for our customer-facing products or internal applications.
- learning and helping your teammates learn.
- how your code translates into a better customer experience.
- testing, and have done backend or frontend unit and integration tests.
- You are familiar with agile software engineering methodologies.
Rocket Travel is a place where you:
- Work with a group of intrinsically motivated people with a track record for building successful new businesses from scratch.
- Embody curiosity, community, and accountability. We live and build products by these values every day.
- Own decisions and take action that can be implemented in a matter of days (or hours).
- Get inspired and are encouraged to vacation faster, with an annual travel stipend that lets you see the world and test drive our product(s).
- Receive a competitive compensation package, including bonus, 401k with match, flexible vacation time, maternity and paternity benefits, health, and dental insurance.
- Can work remotely. Though we have great offices in Chicago’s West Loop and in NYC’s Empire State building, we're all working remotely for the time being, and we welcome full-time remote applicants.
- Share your passion for travel with equally adventurous teammates.
- Work within the largest online travel company in the world. Rocket Travel creates B2C and B2B2C travel products and is part of Booking Holdings (BKNG). We have many worldwide partners and a diversified business. Despite the world’s current situation, Booking Holdings has been rated the most financially healthy company in travel on the globe, and we’re using 2021 to prepare for the future. We’re solidifying our tech stack, our business capabilities, polishing our UI, and growing our partnerships so that we’ll be ready to meet the world’s pent-up demand for travel when the time comes.
About Rocket Travel
Rocket Travel partners with airlines, loyalty programs, and other demand partners around the world to make travel even more rewarding. Our customers can earn and redeem miles, points, and gift cards, or save big with exclusive discounts, for booking travel accommodations around the world, from global favorite brands to boutique bed and breakfasts. We also help our partners curate vacation excursion planning and car rental services, with a completely branded experience from the first search to check-out from their stay.
We attract customers from every corner of the globe with a user experience that's built in-house from ideation to finished product: our team includes engineers, customer service, data analysts, designers, marketers, accountants, partnership sales, and managers. We have offices in Chicago, NYC, Bangkok, Bogota, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Manila, and Cebu, as well as colleagues working remotely across four continents. Our global partnerships range from world-class airlines to international banks to large-scale shopping platforms.
We began in 2013 as a start-up, were acquired by Bookings Holdings Group two quick years later, and we've been growing rapidly ever since. Rocket Travel is dedicated to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace where everyone has the opportunity to reach new heights in their career, and expand their knowledge working alongside talented, dedicated colleagues. We encourage all applicants with a touch of wanderlust to apply to our team, as we work toward helping our travelers reach the vacation of their dreams.
Candidates should be authorized to accept employment in the US from any employer, should be willing to start within three weeks of accepting an offer, and should be able to work the same daily working hours as our Chicago office.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are Rocket Travel priorities, and we are looking for candidates who will contribute positively to the company's mission to be an inclusive environment. Rocket Travel has multiple employee resource groups, including a diversity and inclusion committee, and has committed to DEI goals in hiring, employee retention, and the overall demographics of the organization. DEI is an important element of our values and we conduct ongoing and regular training for our teammates in an effort to foster collaboration, improve morale, and support one another.
Rocket Travel is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To all recruitment agencies: Rocket Travel does not accept third party resumes. Please do not send resumes to our jobs alias, Rocket Travel employees or any other organization location. Rocket Travel is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.