Elastic is an open source search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co
The Infrastructure team in Elastic Engineering sits underneath the Elastic product stack and support many efforts in the company at large. Primarily we’re software developers that handle state — CI specifications, cloud resources, integrations between teams. The Elastic Stack is built on our infrastructure and we touch everything needed to get it there. We also do software consulting around the organization to put our products to use for our own business.
What you'd be responsible for
- Develop tooling to facilitate the building and shipping of the Elastic Stack
- Develop and support production services related to all aspects of the Elastic business, including our downloads, Docker registry, maps service, and much more.
- Support internal use of the Elastic Stack for software development and analytics.
- Site-Reliability Engineering: We are an operations team. We solve problems with code, but fundamentally we keep things working. You may have worked as an SRE.
- Service-Oriented: Multiple years hands-on experience administering Linux, preferably with distributed systems with some scale. You’ve maybe help run a SaaS platform.
- Infrastructure-as-code: You may have experience automating production Linux systems collaboratively, deriving configuration through version control, and are proficient in some of Docker, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt, Habitat, Dhall, Terraform, Packer, your own shell scripts. Maybe you’ve thrown half of that away and use Kubernetes. We do that too.
- You have a strong desire to automate and monitor.
- You have a desire to build reusable software components. You’ve likely created an open source library for your favorite language, or at least made a meaningful contribution to one.
- You enjoy a versioned workflow, representing your work in git, motivated by a GitHub workflow through issues and pull requests.
- You have a healthy knowledge of Linux (have compiled your own kernel at some point, know how to trace syscalls, understand TCP, care about the difference between sysvinit/runit/systemd, etc.) You don’t have to know everything, but you’re motivated to solve problems in this arena.
- You love open source development, and have committed to some project somewhere (doesn’t have to be ours), whether mailing lists, patches, documentation, etc.
- You enjoy working with a distributed company and the active, asynchronous communication it requires.
- You love a diverse environment, working with men and women all over the world. You believe that a diverse company is a better company.
- You are willing to listen and give everyone at the table a voice.
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.