This role can be remote within the United States or Canada, or can be a hybrid model if near an office. Offices are located in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, and Toronto.
"The front page of the internet,” Reddit brings over 500 million people each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities.
The Core Experience teams are responsible for all the content that shows up on Reddit and enables users to express their true selves through varied content types like posts, comments, video threads, profiles, and much more. Our mission lies at the core of Reddit's success as a platform: we build features that encourage engagement and belonging, enabling better user experiences with rich content and video, enabling smooth and effective content consumption with ML and personalized experiences. This role will enable us to architect our native apps to scale for the next 3-4 years of our growth. You will help establish the right standards in native app development and will help in improving the overall iOS and Android development experience at Reddit. In addition, you will mentor senior IOS and Android engineers across Reddit and will be seen as a go-to person for any challenges on the native app.
As a Principal Mobile Engineer in the Core Experience team, you will be responsible for creating and driving the technical strategy for the user experience of Reddit users. You will have the company-wide scope, impact, and responsibility in shaping the future of native development at Reddit. You will champion the technology selection and best practices in Reddit’s app development. You will lead the way in bringing technical excellence and innovation to Reddit’s native app codebase.
What You’ll Do:
- Work cross-functionally, collaborate and partner with product, design, and other engineering counterparts to execute on product and business strategy and build novel products and features that our users will love.
- Contribute to the full development cycle: technical design, development, test, experimentation, analysis, and launch. You’ll be reviewing code and design docs, giving feedback on product specs and mocks.
- Use you interpersonal skills to lead a team of thoughtful, fast-moving, enthusiastic, and motivated engineers. Set and define standards that improve developer workflows, recommend best practices, and help coach and mentor engineers on the team to further their professional development.
- Continuously learn and improve your technical and non-technical abilities.
Who You Might Be:
- Demonstrated experience with organizational-wide impact building both iOS and Android consumer facing applications at scale, however deep experience in either Android or iOS is acceptable.
- Minimum of 8 years experience with native mobile development
- Deep technical expertise with Swift or Kotlin
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to prioritize tasks and keep projects on schedule.
- BS degree in Computer Science, a similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.
- Entrepreneurial spirit. You are self-directed, innovative, you build trust, and biased towards action in fast-paced environments.
- You love to build new things and thrive in ambiguity and even failure. You care about innovation.
- Excellent communication skills. You collaborate effectively with teams in a fully remote environment and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences with senior leadership.
- Software development experience in one or more general-purpose programming languages; Java, Python, Go, Rust, C++ is a plus
- Additional knowledge around GraphQL, REST, HTTP basics, and the ability to design maintainable APIs is a plus.
- Comprehensive Health benefits
- Retirement Savings plan with matching contributions
- Workspace benefits for your home office
- Personal & Professional development funds?
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Vacation & Reddit Global Days Off
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at ApplicationAssistance@Reddit.com.