Qwick is changing the way people work. We leverage technology to empower Food and Beverage Professionals (banquet servers, bartenders, cooks, dishwashers) to match with highly-rated Hospitality Businesses (catering, hotels, venues, restaurants) that need them.
We are passionate about the work that we do and the culture that we’re building while doing it. Our cultural values are an important part of who we are.
- Free to be us - We embrace diversity within mindsets, ideas, race, culture, background, and the things that make us uniquely us.
- Hustle responsibly - We work hard and we make time to rest and play in order to stay our best.
- Stand up for what's right - We don’t just do the right thing, but we hold others accountable to act with integrity as well.
- We are human - We act with compassion to take care of ourselves, our team, our families, our Business Partners, and our Professionals.
- Constantly curious - We seek knowledge from within and outside of Qwick and are continually learning through our successes and challenges.
- Never give up - We welcome change, celebrate failure, and always keep moving forward.
About the Role
As a Senior Full-Stack Developer, you wait on no person to bring a feature to life. Whether it’s being handed a design or building one yourself, you know things like:
- Relational Data Management - The best way to create the tables and queries in the database to represent your idea not just for yourself, but for others as well that might want to tap into that data
- API Design - Making an interface for accessing/changing that data with having the best UX for other developers in mind
- Backend - Scaling computationally heavy processes horizontally and utilizing an asynchronous job queue for handling large volumes of simultaneous jobs
- Frontend UI/UX - Whether it’s on Web or on a mobile device, you’re able to empathize with users and create experiences that will delight them
At Qwick, you’ll be able to work in a pure functional codebase where code-quality isn’t a second class citizen. We take our craft seriously, so you’ll be working with a very passionate engineering team that wants to set you up for maximum success. You’ll be working on apps that not just have a huge impact on the people that use them, but are also delightful to use. You’ll have a lot of ownership over your work with the team ready to help out if you need it.
We’re a small team and intend to stay small, so you’ll be working closely with (somewhat) intelligent, creative, motivated, and fun people. We’re all highly empathetic to both our customers and to each other. Opinions are challenged, but people are celebrated. We love working at Qwick and bringing a better way of life to our Professionals is more of a passion than just a “9-5" type job. We’re always up for any task, even those outside our job description. We love working with each other and the people that work at Qwick are what makes us special.
Being in a senior position, you’ll also have the opportunity to help others better themselves in software engineering. While you won’t have a direct report, you may have an understudy that you can help mentor and guide through their journey. You will report directly to the VP of Engineering.
What you can expect in your first 90 days
As with any new job, you’re going to be learning a lot. We like to lead with context, so that means that we’d like for you to understand a lot of what we do and (more importantly) why we’re doing what we’re doing. Then if you have a better way, let’s see how we can do it. We have multiple needs currently, so in addition to learning, you’ll be responsible for:
- Collaborating with Engineering/Product/Operations/Demand to create new features to help both our Professionals have a better experience working shifts and our Business Partners posting/running them
- Helping us extend and scale our internal tools
- Finding scaling issues in our PostgreSQL DB and helping to fix them
Compensation for this role is $130k - $150k commensurate with experience.
Requirements and Qwalifications
- 4+ years of experience programming with some of those years using a Functional Programming style
- Experience in any of the following: OCaml/ReasonML (what we use), Haskell, Scala, Closure, Elixir, Rust, Elm, ReScript
- Strong knowledge of and experience with SQL (any flavor, but we are using PostgreSQL)
- Experience creating UI/UX for both Web and Mobile applications (React and React Native experience is a plus, as is a good eye for design)
- Creating APIs for other engineers to use (GraphQL experience is a plus)
- Enjoy mentoring and helping others
- Can work both in groups and autonomously when needed
- Empathetic towards both your teammates and our customers
- Can actively listen to and understand other people’s points of view
- Enjoy working with extroverted people
- Problem solver and customer-centered
- Can present and explain complex topics to non-technical individuals
- Sweet DJ skills for Turntable.fm
- Phoenix-based or able to relocate
- Competitive pay + Employee Stock Option plan
- Work from home flexibility
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Life Insurance + 401k
- Unlimited paid time off
- Paid family leave
- Employee support resources
- Short- and long-term disability benefits
Qwick is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.