At quip, we design and deliver delightful and effective ways to keep your mouth healthy: from the daily care products that help you at home every day, to the professional care services you require at least twice a year.
The Formulation Chemist will be focused on further developing quip’s consumable portfolio. This will include line extensions, new products, and providing technical expertise on projects related to the consumables portfolio. This person will be responsible for all the R&D activities on the projects and work with the project managers from concept to commercialization. It is preferable if this person has knowledge and experience within the food and/or nutritional supplements businesses. This person should have a willingness to learn and expand their knowledge into different areas of new product development. As a fast-growing company, the person will need to be able to work very quickly and solve complex problems on the fly. This scientist will report directly to the Lead Formulation Chemist at quip.
quip’s Innovation team prides itself on creative problem solving that bucks most ordinary practice. When we envision a product with novel and class-leading user experience, it requires a rigor of method, a depth of intelligence, and a penchant for delight not found in everyday products. If you’re ridiculously passionate about your field, we want to talk.
Technical and Innovation Leadership
- Ideate about new products in the oral care space and provide innovative solutions that meet the requirements of a product brief
- Work cross-functionally several teams internally as well as external partners to deliver a product from concept to commercialization
- Maintain and continue efforts to reduce environmental impact across all formulation products using the most up to date formulation technologies
- Monitor and inform management of trends in oral care, personal care, food and nutrition, and formulation chemistry
- Help identify and implement cost savings and product improvements in line with the relentless pursuit of our product strategy
- Create design of experiments (DOE) to help with new product development and product improvements
- Collaboratively work across the company to implement new products
- Work closely with external partners for formulation development, testing, and regulatory needs
- Actively promote and educate formulation and scientific knowledge internally at quip that contributes to our “mouths first” mission for oral care
- 5-7 years of experience in new product formulation development for Food, Nutritional Supplements, OTC Pharmaceutical, or the Personal Care business
- Ability to lead external partners in research and development as well as be willing to be hands on with laboratory equipment
- Knowledge and experience writing and utilizing standard operating procedures
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally with teams to complete a project from inception to mass production
- Proven ability to work within established processes and further develop procedures from lab scale to mass production
- Knowledge of stability (physical and chemical) study needs and stability issues of formulations.
- Intermediate understanding of clinical studies, laboratory studies, and claims support needs
- Basic understanding and eager to learn more about the Medical, Quality, Regulatory, and Legal aspects of new product development both in the US and internationally (FDA, ICH, cGMPs, etc.)
- Developed or worked with experimental designs
- Creative thinker who will contribute to new product ideas and different solutions
- Able to research and understand competitive formulations and an eye for new technologies
- Good communicator with the ability to demystify technical issues for a nontechnical audience
- Strong project management and organizational skills; proven ability to handle 2-4 complex projects simultaneously
- Ability to do limited travel (10%) domestically and internationally for project-related goals, including vendor selection, process scale-up, and mass production
- An appreciation for the modern consumer sentiment and the opportunities to delight that consumer with unique and category-defying experiences
- Bachelors’ degree or above in Food Science, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology or a related field
- You'll be working in a high energy, fast-paced environment helping us make oral care simple and effective!
- An office located in the heart of DUMBO with breathtaking views of Manhattan Bridge; Flexible work from home options (in response to Covid-19)
- Full health insurance and dental coverage options
- Commuter benefits for parking & transit
- Offer competitive paid parental leave policy for qualifying employees
- Open vacation policy
- Dog-friendly office space
- 401k Offered through MassMutual
- Extended Education Assistance
- Employee Referral Program
- Competitive compensation package with stock options at a high-growth startup
- Generous employee discount on all quip products
- The opportunity to help us make oral care more simple, effective and accessible!
Most of us aren’t brushing our teeth correctly, either because we don’t know how to do it right, or because we just don’t feel like it. At quip, we design delightful products and experiences to help you care for your mouth better. Our initial product is a beautifully simple electric toothbrush and toothpaste that was featured by Time Magazine as one of the 25 Best Inventions of 2016. With refill brush heads and toothpaste arriving on a 3-monthly schedule. We pride ourselves on great design and our brand values of simplicity, honesty, and accessibility, which are applied throughout our community. We are excited to apply these principles to the acceleration of our digital patient-professional advice and services platform.
quip is committed to promoting equality, inclusion, and diversity beyond your brushing routine. We believe our company is better equipped to care for every mouth when we listen to fresh perspectives from every voice, and in doing so, we build an equal-opportunity team of the brightest minds (and mouths)—regardless of race, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, identity, or any other trait that makes you you. By celebrating and supporting our differences, we will thrive in our mission to improve oral health for all.