Welcome to Striking Distance Studios!
Driven by people. Inspired by challenges. Relentless to deliver creative excellence.
At the intersection of art, design and technology lies Striking Distance Studios. Led by Dead Space and Call of Duty franchise veteran Glen Schofield, a new AAA development studio has risen within the San Ramon Hills of the San Francisco Bay Area. We have planted roots in beautiful Bishop Ranch and are now building our flagship state-of-the-art development studio establishing the East Bay as the new up and coming creative and technological hub we know it to be.
LED BY DEAD SPACE AND CALL OF DUTY FRANCHISE VETERAN GLEN SCHOFIELD, the development team at Striking Distance Studios is hard at work on its first game, The Callisto Protocol, a single player and story-driven survival horror game set in a prison colony on Jupiter’s moon Callisto. Here at Striking Distance Studios it is amazing people, an immersive experience and a passion for excellence that drives us each day. We are looking for people who push themselves creatively and learn with every new challenge. We give you the setting and the opportunity to do work you are proud of. We’re looking for the best to come join us and become part of a world-class team.
To us excellence is not a skill, but an attitude!
- Lead the planning, development, and execution of the overall AI architecture
- Build, mentor, train and manage, a small team of AI engineers.
- Collaborate with other Engineering Leads to create strong, consistent coding standards and process.
- Establish engineering projects, initiatives, and processes in conformance with the studio’s goals and objectives
- Utilizes best practice engineering methods and provides expert technical guidance for engineering initiatives
- Gather requirements and set goals for the AI team, leading the design and architecture all the way through to implementation.
- Work closely with Content Creators to create and improve an AI system that’s facilitates the creation of characters that come to life through believable and fluid motion and support this system in its application and tuning.
- Design new functional and engaging features and integrate them with existing AI, physics, and animation systems.
- Research new techniques and tools that will improve the content creation workflow and raise the bar in terms of character behavior quality.
- Foster a culture of open, honest, and respectful communication across all disciplines
- Excellent understanding of AI architecture and standard technology (finite state machines, behavior trees, path finding, goal-oriented behavior, rule-based systems, learning, crowd behavior etc.).
- 7+ years of relevant experience, with 3+ years of experience at the Lead Engineer level or above
- Deep Understanding of UE4 Behavior Trees, EQS and Perception systems
- Solid C/C++ skills
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or relevant work experience
- Full Professional proficiency in English