Welcome to Striking Distance Studios!
Driven by people. Inspired by challenges. Relentless to deliver creative excellence.
At the intersection of art, design and technology lies Striking Distance Studios. We are a AAA development studio within the San Ramon Hills of the San Francisco Bay Area. With the release of our first title, The Callisto Protocol, we are excited to continue to grow our studio.
Here at Striking Distance Studios it is amazing people, an immersive experience and a passion for excellence that drives us each day. We are looking for people who push themselves creatively and learn with every new challenge. We give you the setting and the opportunity to do work you are proud of. We’re looking for the best to come join us and become part of a world-class team.
To us excellence is not a skill, but an attitude!
What we are looking for:
Striking Distance Studios is looking for a Lead Gameplay Engineer to work in a cooperative, cross-disciplinary team environment to implement game features and systems within our game engine.
- Work cohesively with a team of programmers, artists, and designers to design, prototype, and implement gameplay features
- Lead a small team of Engineers to create best in class gameplay
- Build and maintain a variety of robust, flexible, and well-architected systems, including controls, abilities, AI, and RPG systems
- Work with Design to create strong Character, Camera, and Combat systems (3Cs).
- Research coding techniques and algorithms in order to keep current on technological developments and advancements in the game industry
- Communicate accurate status updates to your team leads, producers, and QA regarding tasks/features you are responsible for
- Delve into code written by other engineers and take ownership of existing systems as needed.
- Write clear, maintainable, portable, and highly performant code
- Foster a culture of open, honest, and respectful communication across all disciplines
- Expertise with UE4 and UE5, particularly with gameplay combat related systems
- Strong Camera, Character and Combat (3Cs) background
- Melee combat experience is a plus
- Experience shipping games on current generation consoles (PS5, Xbox Series X, or Switch) and PC
- At least 7 years of games industry experience and preferably 3 years or more in a similar role
- Shipped at least 1 console game as a Lead Gameplay Engineer
- Excellent communication skills: ideally, you are fluent in “artist” and “designer” speak
- Strong 3D math skills and low-level engine experience
- Fluent in C/C+
- Experience leading a small team preferred
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or relevant work experience
In California, the expected salary range for this position is $170,000 - $215,000. The listed expected salary range represents a good faith estimate and the actual pay may depend on a variety of job-related factors that can include experience, education, skills, and location.
Striking Distance Studios provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Due to recent scams, our recruiters will only reach out to you via @sds.com, @krafton.com or @pubg.com. If you received an email and are unsure you can always email email@example.com.