At Prisma we are building the data layer for modern applications. If you are fascinated by the software that powers large technology companies such as Twitter, Airbnb and Facebook but want the challenges and freedom that come with working in a small startup, then a job at Prisma might be for you.
With funding from top-tier Silicon Valley investors Amplify Partners, Kleiner Perkins and IVP we are a small distributed team working on making advanced data infrastructure developed at large tech companies accessible to all developers around the world.
We are focused on bottom-up adoption, and most of our software is open-source. We have a vibrant community on Slack and Github - with over 43,000 members on Slack - where we regularly engage with the Prisma community.
What would a Senior TypeScript Engineer at Prisma do?
You will be part of a team of talented TypeScript engineers collaborating with engineers working in languages such as Rust and Go. Together, you will be solving challenges in different levels of our stack in order to create a market-leading ORM. On a normal day at Prisma, you could be working on any of the following items:
- Work on expanding the Prisma Client to support advanced database functions in collaboration with Prisma's Query Engine Engineers.
- This includes everything from the initial technical design to implementation; and
- A focus on continuously improving our codebase in an effort to create a stable, well-tested product that's easy to contribute to.
- Work on new libraries & tools that will be used as building blocks internally and for our users.
- Work with us to push the boundaries of DX.
- Help Prisma to adopt the latest TypeScript features and keep us at the cutting edge of the technology.
- Contributing to the TypeScript Compiler if you are interested and capable of doing this.
What does the candidate profile look like?
We believe that the right person will meet quite a few of the criteria below. If you don't fit the description perfectly, we'd still love to hear from you. Many of these can be learnt on the job:
- You can communicate fluently in English and can express your thoughts clearly in writing
- You seek feedback early and often and are not afraid to ask for help
- You enjoy working closely with your peers and proactively seek to help others
- You care about the developer experience people have while interacting with a tool
- You enjoy creating sustainable and well-tested code to make things easier for everyone
The following could also be helpful:
- You are the maintainer of or contributor to an open source project
- Experience or interest in Rust
What's it like to work at Prisma?
You are likely to be a great for the team if you:
...have an ownership mindset. As part of a small team, you'll have an outsize impact on decisions and the way things are executed.
...stay nimble. As a growing startup, the team and strategy evolves quickly. Be ready to re-calibrate often and stay flexible.
...be kind and collaborative. Come in ready to share your ideas and listen to feedback.
We are a remote-first organisation with an office based in Berlin, Germany. Whether you would like to work remotely, or from the office in Berlin is up to you! We are open to discussing relocation assistance if you would like to join us in Berlin.
To ensure effective collaboration we can currently only accept candidates within the timezone GMT -5 to GMT +3. (Please still apply if you are close to that and are willing to work late or early in your day.)
Note on COVID-19: The above opportunity to move to Berlin is temporarily suspended until we believe that travel is safe again.
What's in it for you
- Joining an early-stage startup anchored in both Europe and Silicon Valley where you will be able to make a real impact on a global scale.
- Opportunity to work with a team of world-class engineering, product, and design experts.
- Be part of a thriving startup funded by Silicon Valley's top tier investors Kleiner Perkins and Amplify Partners.
- We provide a Competitive Base Salary in line with industry standards for similar positions.
- As an early-stage startup we also provide competitive Stock-Option Grants.
- 24 Days paid vacation per year.
- 4 Days paid Mental Health Days per year.
- 6 Weeks fully paid Sabbatical Leave after 3 years.
- 20 Weeks fully paid Parental Leave.
- [US] Health, Dental, Vision + 401k Matching
- Generous Tech Budget to make sure you have all the hardware that you need.
- Ergonomic Chair subsidy
- Access to your local co-working space if you prefer to work from an external location to your home.
What is the process like?
Our recruitment process roughly follows the structure below:
- First Call with someone from our Talent Team.
- Second Call with the Engineering Manager
- Third Call with the members of the Engineering Team.
- Take Home Assignment with compensation including a debrief with the Engineering Manager and -Team.
What do I do now?
If this sounds like an interesting opportunity, please apply via our website, and include your LinkedIn profile (or Resume), Github repos, or anything else that you think might give us a good sense of who you are.
We will generally be in touch within 7 business days to let you know the outcome of your application.
Prisma is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.