Permutive is powering the future of targeted advertising on the Open Web today. As the only Audience Platform built on edge computing, we enable premium advertisers and publishers to plan, build and activate cohorts — all while keeping everyone’s data safe.
We’re a remote-first B2B SaaS company with 150+ people—centred around our London and New York hubs—and growing rapidly. We have received funding from some of the world’s best investors, including a recent $75m Series C led by SoftBank Vision Fund 2.
About the Role...
Permutive is looking for a compassionate Engineering Manager to lead and grow our talented Cohorts and Activation team.
You'll guide, direct and support the team's day-to-day work, and you'll take ownership of both the team's growth and delivery.
As the manager within this team, you'll play a significant role in successfully scaling this team, from hiring diverse talented individuals, effectively onboarding new joiners, and mentoring each person to ensure they develop and grow.
This role will involve working closely with Product, Senior Engineering Managers, and managing a team of Functional Scala Engineers. We don’t expect you to have deep experience in functional programming: we're interested in someone who has high-level ideas on how pragmatic product teams should be led, and we'd love for you to bring a fresh perspective to our team to help us solve problems more effectively.
As we move forward with our ambitious plans for the team, we need an experienced manager to lead the team through its next stage of growth — ensuring the team is equipped to support a growing engineering team and product.
The Team and Technologies
The Cohorts & Activation team help our client to extract value from their data by building Cohorts. Cohorts are groups of user grouped by 1st Party data. We are responsible for creating high throughput data pipelines, building HTTP services that are scalable and robust, and developing infrastructure to allow our Data Scientists to work efficiently.
You will also be responsible for helping the team to build out new services and processing pipelines, and ultimately driving business value to our customers.
Some of the questions you will help us to answer in this role
- How can we help publishers & advertisers build rich cohorts using their first-party data to drive value?
- How can we help customers activate their cohorts across all platforms while safeguarding user privacy?
- How do you best support the professional development of a diverse engineering team, where people sit at different points on the Manager—Individual Contributor spectrum?
- When and who should we hire into the team? How can we pre-empt team capacity issues?
- How can we best collaborate with other Engineering Managers and Technical Leads to define roadmaps and create success metrics for the team?
- How do we support the demands of an ever-growing engineering team in a fair and transparent way?
The ideal person for this role will have
- Strong communication skills, patience, and empathy.
- Experience working with product teams and other stakeholders.
- A keen product focus and will know where to invest effort in order to derive the most value.
- Prior experience managing teams of 5+ engineers.
- A focus on bringing out the best in the engineers in a team and empowering them to progress in their career and technical capabilities.
- Experience executing on strategic vision in a high-growth environment.
- Prior involvement in building teams: from hiring to onboarding engineers.
- A demonstrable breadth of technical knowledge.
We'd be particularly excited if you have one or more of the below
- Experience working in a fast-growing team or startup.
- Experience or an interest in Scala or functional programming.
How we pay
We take a structured, objective approach to salary-setting, which is based on market information, our compensation strategy, and your experience and capability as assessed through our interview process.
For a candidate meeting our requirements we would likely pay £110,000 to £120,000 + options.
- Stock options (you'll own a piece of the pie)
- Parental Leave Policy entitling new parents up to 26 weeks of leave on full pay
- Everyone has an annual learning budget of £2,400 which we encourage you to use to level up
- Time to rest and relax with unlimited paid leave (minimum expectation of 25 days annually)
- Extensive training and development opportunities
- Cycle to work scheme
- Automatic enrolment into our pension scheme from day one
- Free access to Spill, our mental health partners
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Permutive, we’re taking a thoughtful, intersectional, long-term approach to diversity, equity & inclusion. We care deeply about creating an inclusive work environment that allows everyone to flourish, and we are taking continual action to progress in that direction. If you would like to read an outline of efforts we have already made towards becoming a more inclusive company as well as insight into what we are actively working on, you can find that information here.
How we are responding to COVID-19
We have a presence in London and New York. Permutive is a remote first company committed to working from home for all Permutive employees until February 2022. We have invested significant time and budget into ensuring that everyone is suitably equipped to manage this time period. Our guiding principle behind any decision we make will always be the health and well-being of our employees. In February 2022, we will continue to be a remote first company, and all employees will have optional access to in-person collaboration space in NYC and London.