Ozow provides easy, fast, and secure payment solutions for everyone. From QR codes, point of sale, eCommerce, e-billing, peer-to-peer payments, and everything in between, Ozow helps millions of businesses and consumers to pay and get paid.
We’re addressing real needs.
We’re a hyper-scaling fintech. With our latest $48m Series B funding round led by Tencent, we are able to do even more. But we can’t do this alone.
This is why you’re reading this. We’re on the lookout for innovative, problem-solving, big thinkers to come on board!
More about this Ozow fantastic position
The Team Lead Software Development, reports into the Development Manager and needs to have strong experience in programming fundamentals, assisting in researching and developing new products and modifications to existing software, to improve the overall efficiencies of product offerings. They will need to lead a team of developers ranging from senior to junior, developing applications for various platforms.
As one of Ozow’s esteemed developers, you would be working in an agile environment with a contribution to the product roadmap. You will need to provide technical leadership to a team of developers, and deliver on sprint commitments. The environment is entrepreneurial with a start-up culture, where everyone engages in the product development cycle.
You’ll need to bring your skills to the table so that the team can collectively benefit from your input. To do so, you should have a track record of implementing best practices such as continuous integration, test-driven development, and continuous deployment, and demonstrated skills on team mentorship as well as successful delivery of software projects under tight deadlines.
If you have experience in developing applications with a strong payments focus you will be at a definite advantage.
You are an ideal candidate if you have:
- 6+ years in software development experience
- Proven work experience (2+ years) as a Technical Lead in Software Development
- A relevant IT Diploma or Degree
- Experience working with agile methodologies – a true believer
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Tenacity and drive
Your roles and responsibilities:
Besides being able to delve into some incredibly awesome work, you’ll have your own share of roles and responsibilities to keep in check:
- Understanding user stories and providing estimates to sprint planning sessions, participating in requirements analysis
- Understanding the interdependency of user stories
- Actively engaging with the team on all areas of development
- Participating in code reviews of work performed
- Active monitoring of the software development process and continuous improvement thereof
- Standardisation of technologies, approaches, and architectures across teams
- Working with agile coaches and other technical leads to drive architectural changes in current and future projects
- Liaising with agile coaches and product owners in order to resolve team impediments
- Constantly keeping up to date with emerging trends and practices in the relevant fields
- Providing technical leadership and direction to your team members and the rest of the business
- Working within and with the team in order to deliver software projects of high quality
- Regular reporting to the development manager on issue status and progress on change initiatives
- Working with the development and support teams to resolve any production issues timeously and efficiently
Your skills and competencies:
- Strong leadership and software development background
- Be able to identify patterns and trends and gain knowledge quickly and grasp concepts fast
- Provide in-depth analysis of problems and proposes solutions
- Makes time to review projects, to identify and learn from successes and failures
- Seeks out advice from peers and skills networks to arrive as high-quality decisions.
- Out of the box solutions driven thinking
- Excellent conflict management skills - where there is a disagreement you can facilitate a discussion to negotiate a way forward
- Have a good understanding of own culture, own body language and impact on other cultures; perceptive about other people
- Be the one who treats everyone with respect irrespective of their level, background, or discipline and profession
- Supports others, even when they have made mistakes
- Identifies and actions training needs (own and others)
- Strengthens the team by incorporating specialists
- Realistic about own and others’ capabilities – be humble
- Adaptability - makes significant changes in their your own area to meet strategic needs.
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent technical knowledge and a thirst for learning
- Step One: Our Talent Team will carefully review your application in line with the job description.
- Step Two: If there is a match we will send an online assessment for you to showcase your skills.
- Step Three: There will be an interview with members of our Technology team, who will work closely with you in this role.
- Step Four: Our Chief Technology Officer and Chief People Officer will meet with you face-to-face before finalising the hiring process.
Location of the position:
- This position is based in Cape Town, Johannesburg, or Remote.
What to expect at Ozow
At Ozow, we believe that what we do matters. It’s why we’re focused on driving greater financial inclusion and closing the digital divides. For everyone.
The secret to our success? We’re fast-paced, agile, passionate, and driven. We’re also heavily dependent on collaboration, camaraderie, collective hard work and innovation.
Collectively, all of this makes up our DNA. It’s the fuel to our rocket ship.
Benefits at Ozow
We’re serious about building our people.
As part of this, Ozow offers competitive salaries, growth development programmes (including a mentorship programme), along with a wide range of other benefits.
Depending on the team you’re in, we also offer remote and hybrid work options.
To keep the team mentally and physically healthy, we run a variety of initiatives geared to making a positive difference in their lives.
We’re also committed to creating an honest, supportive, inclusive environment that celebrates our diversity of backgrounds, ideas, skill sets, and life experiences.
Keen to know more?
Interested in joining our rocket ship?
To find out more about life at Ozow, head over to our Careers Page here!