Backend Engineer (Content Team)
With millions of diners, tens of thousands of restaurants, and 23+ years of experience, OpenTable, part of Booking Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: BKNG), is an industry leader with a unique insight into the world of hospitality. We champion restaurants, bars, wineries, and other venues around the world, helping them attract guests, manage capacity, improve operations and maximize revenue.
Every employee at OpenTable has a tangible impact on what we do and how we do it. You’ll also be part of a global network that includes OpenTable and KAYAK's portfolio of travel brands including Swoodoo, checkfelix, momondo, Cheapflights, Mundi and HotelsCombined.
Hospitality is all about taking care of others, and it defines our culture. You’ll work in a welcoming and inclusive environment, and get the benefits, flexibility, and support you need to succeed.
Job Type: Full-Time
Levels: Mid - Senior
At OpenTable, we take pleasure in Software Development. We believe that velocity comes from a commitment to clean code and solid engineering principles. We deliver innovative products through rapid, continuous development. Millions of diners and thousands of restaurants around the globe use our products. If you are excited by constantly meaningful engineering processes and can deliver exceptional quality in a fast-paced, agile environment, we'd like to meet you. Bonus points if you love restaurants too.
What You’ll Work On
We are the team behind OpenTable’s photos, reviews, Newsfeed, dishes, and editorial: core content that inspires diners to discover and book amazing restaurants across all platforms. We think a lot about scaling user-generated content, partnering with the data science team on leveraging machine learning to improve our content, and discovery-oriented editorial experiences. Our team has ambitious goals to make OpenTable the starting point for every dining occasion, an authority on dining culture, and an inspiration for food lovers everywhere - we want you to join us and help realize that vision.
You want to be part of a multi-functional team. You’re curious, passionate, and enjoy tackling hard problems. You love technology and enjoy finding better ways to do things. You want to share what you discover and feel energized when you can learn from people around you. When you build software, you consider how people will use it from all angles. You take pride in carefully honing your work until it feels reliable and effortless to use.
You’ve been a programmer for several years, have made meaningful contributions to projects you’ve been a part of, and want to engineer on a global scale. You’re familiar with things like:
- Expert in .NET development
- Strong working knowledge in multithreading and concurrent programming
- Minimum 5 years of working experience in building a scalable architecture that can process millions of records in a few minutes.
- 5 + years of solid experience in SQL databases like PostgreSQL or MS SQL
- Minimum 5 years of experience in building and maintaining RESTful services
- Strong knowledge of caching techniques
- Working experience in message busses like RabbitMQ or Kafka
- Performance monitoring and analysis
- ACID and CAP trade-offs
- Good communication skills
- OOP/OOA background
- C# expertise
- .NET Framework knowledge, especially .NET Core
- Skilled with relational databases and SQL
- Clean code, covered by unit and integration tests
What else would make me stand out?
- Knowledge of OOP principles
- Knowledge or interest in learning about Microservices architecture
- Familiarity with Extreme Programming practices (TDD, Pair Programming, Refactoring)
- Knowledge of Event Sourcing and CQRS
- Knowledge of scalability and performance challenges of server-side code. You can design and develop horizontally scalable, resilient, and high-performance REST services
- Knowledge of SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS models
- Knowledge of cloud technologies and hands-on experience in at least one cloud platform
- Knowledge of PostgreSQL, MongoDB
- Comfortable with Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery Environments
- Experience with installation and deployment of servers and open-source platforms
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies
- Knowledge or interest in learning Node.js
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
OpenTable aspires to be a workplace that reflects the diverse communities we serve and a culture that is inclusive and welcoming. Hiring people with different backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and ideas is critical to innovation and to how we deliver great experiences for our users and our partners. Representation matters.
We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform job responsibilities, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
In accordance with Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the expected base salary range for this role in Colorado is $85,000 to $150,000. This position is eligible for additional compensation and benefits including: cash bonus, health benefits; flexible spending account; retirement benefits; life insurance; paid time off (including PTO, paid sick leave, medical leave, bereavement leave, floating holidays and paid holidays); and parental leave and benefits. Actual compensation will be determined by experience and other factors permitted by law.
“Remote work allowed”