Senior Software Engineer (Backend)
At OpenTable, we take pleasure in Software Development. We believe that velocity comes from a dedication to clean code and proven engineering principles. We deliver creative products through rapid, continuous development. We move fast, release frequently, and believe strongly in automated testing to help maintain our quality and velocity. We break things sometimes - and that’s fine. We learn from it. Millions of diners and thousands of restaurants around the globe use our products. If you are excited by constantly challenging engineering processes and can deliver exceptional quality in a fast paced, agile environment, we'd like to meet you. Bonus points if you love restaurants too.
You love to code. You’re curious, passionate and constantly thinking about making code clean and better. You love technology and enjoy finding better ways to do things. You want to share what you discover and feel energized when you can learn from the people around you. When you build software, you consider how people will use it from all angles. You take pride in carefully honing your work until it feels reliable and effortless to use. You are calm during incidents when debugging production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
As a senior member of this team, you'll be responsible for developing a variety of products and integrations which help connect OpenTable Restaurants with other products and systems so that they are able to seamlessly take advantage of a plethora of products built by other companies. Along with this, you will also contribute to other product feature areas and core engineering initiatives across the OpenTable for Restaurants product.
All of us are engineers, and we like to operate in a self-driven culture of ownership. You will own one or more of the product components, working with product managers to help in scoping features, contributing towards technical architecture and having primary responsibility for actual implementation of code and automated tests.
- 5+ years in software engineering
- Strong experience with at least one of the following languages: Java, C#
- Document (NoSQL) or relational database experience
- Proven experience designing and building highly available, high-traffic APIs and Microservices architecture
- Deep understanding of data structures and OO design
- Discipline at unit, integration, and acceptance testing
- Passion or desire to participate in pair programming
- Proven experience in designing and owning microservices independently
- Knowledge of system performance and operational readiness monitoring
- Ability to react to changes, work with teams and to multitask on multiple products and projects.
Nice to have:
- Experience with Docker / Kubernetes / Singularity / Mesos
- Experience building message-driven systems
- Experience with caching frameworks and technologies like Redis
- Experience collaborating with remote teams across time zones
- Experience working as a full-stack engineer will be an added advantage
OpenTable, part of Booking Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ: BKNG), is the world's leading provider of online restaurant reservations, seating more than 25 million diners per month via online bookings across approximately 45,000 restaurants.
Since its inception in 1998, OpenTable has seated more than 1.5 billion diners in over 20 countries. The Company is headquartered in San Francisco, California, and the OpenTable service is available throughout the United States, as well as in Canada, Germany, Japan, Mexico, the UK and many more locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
As an employee of OpenTable, you will be part of a global network that includes OpenTable and KAYAK's portfolio of meta-search brands including momondo, Cheapflights, Swoodoo, checkfelix and Mundi. Many employees are dedicated to one brand, but we all have the benefit of using each other’s strengths and insights. Together, we’re able to help people experience the world through dining and travel.