About Omidyar Network:
Established by philanthropists Pam and Pierre Omidyar, Omidyar Network is a social change venture that has committed more than $1 billion to innovative for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations since 2004. Omidyar Network works to reimagine critical systems and the ideas that govern them, and to build more inclusive and equitable societies in which individuals have the social, economic, and democratic power to thrive.
To learn more, visit www.omidyar.com and @omidyarnetwork on Twitter.
About the Strategic Communications team:
We are a dynamic group of professionals who are committed to using the power of communications and advocacy to advance our strategic goals. We work in close partnership with our program teams to build strategic communications into their strategies at the outset. At times, our team supports program leads on a given impact goal, while other times, we lead the work. We pursue policy levers, narrative and culture change, storytelling, thought leadership, earned, owned and paid media, and other creative channels to shift people’s mindsets and behaviors. We aim to increase our impact and contribute to the change we want to see in the world. We’re always on the lookout for new tools and innovative, dedicated thinkers to add to our team.
The Senior Manager or Director (depending on level of experience), Policy & Advocacy is a new position at Omidyar Network. In this role, you will draw upon your knowledge and experience of advocacy and policy, working with internal and external partners to support the overarching advocacy goals of Omidyar Network, including the objectives of our Responsible Technology, Reimagining Capitalism, and Pluralism programmatic teams. You will also help us clarify our political positioning so we know how and where we should show up along the political spectrum to have the impact, influence, and relationships critical to motivate change.
You will join forces with the Chief Advocacy and Strategy Communications Officer, the Strategic Communications team, and relevant program teams to ensure strategic alignment, identify cross-cutting initiatives and opportunities, and support innovative campaigns.
Due to COVID-19, the application process for this role will be entirely virtual. While our team is currently working remotely and the Senior Manager/Director of Advocacy & Policy will likely begin this position remote as well, the role will be based in Washington, DC and we expect the candidate to be in office once health conditions allow.
You will play several critical roles:
- Identify, build, and support relationships with key offices and staff on the Hill to increase their understanding and awareness of Omidyar Network’s policy priorities, investees, and various ways in which we can support policy goals.
- Collaborate and coordinate with program teams to identify administrative and regulatory opportunities within federal agencies.
- Collect and synthesize events and trends that will affect policy and advocacy and inform our strategy.
- Track and analyze policy developments and trends relevant to our work in 2-4 target states.
- Identify state-based policy and advocacy opportunities, and manage state-specific government relations support, if needed.
- Build and manage relationships with policy and government relations staff at national, state-based organizations and coalitions, especially among our network of grantees (in conjunction with relevant program teams, and deeply aware of power dynamics between grantees and funders).
- Share and leverage (and sometimes commission) research, engage directly with partners, cultivate and champion influential messengers, and deploy strategic communications in coordination with the team.
- Develop, manage, and/or participate in strategic and coordinated campaigns, coalitions, and tables to influence policymakers and other external stakeholders.
- Track and propose opportunities to achieve our policy goals via elections (e.g., ballot initiatives, referendum).
- Serve as the central point — with awareness and coordination — of all legislative policy activities carried out by teams across the organization.
- Develop close, trusted working relationship with teams, their grantees, and the coalitions and advocates with whom they work.
- Engage, coordinate, and integrate government relations consultants across teams.
Essential Qualifications, Experience & Attributes
- 8-15 years experience working in government, advocacy, and/or public affairs aimed at influencing policy change. Experience on Capitol Hill is a plus. (Leveling of role - senior manager vs director - will be dependent on experience and skill level.)
- Knowledge of a variety of issue areas, especially domestic economic policy and technology, and desire to advance structural change.
- Communicator with strong analytical, writing, editing, and verbal skills who knows how to connect with broad and diverse stakeholders, including Beltway media and Hill offices.
- Proven track record of building and cultivating strong relationships on both sides of the aisle, and comfort identifying pragmatic solutions across the political spectrum.
- Ability to balance competing priorities and identify when to advance an issue or call out a risk.
- Desire to embrace new ideas and experiment; naturally curious and energized—rather than intimated by—ambiguity.
- Relationship builder and partner who can seamlessly manage multiple voices, opinions, and personalities to create an atmosphere of camaraderie and collaboration.
At Omidyar Network, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but they often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to have outsized positive returns on the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Omidyar Network is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.