About Omidyar Network
Established by philanthropists Pam and Pierre Omidyar, Omidyar Network is a social change venture that has committed more than $1 billion to innovative for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations since 2004. Omidyar Network works to reimagine critical systems and the ideas that govern them, and to build more inclusive and equitable societies in which individuals have the social, economic, and democratic power to thrive. To learn more, visit www.omidyar.com, and follow on Twitter @omidyarnetwork.
About the Reimagining Capitalism team
We work to address the structural challenges at the heart of our economic system, and to craft a new, inclusive economy where markets serve the interests of all people and society. Our work is anchored in how we can shape ideas, shift power structures, and reorient the rules and incentives that govern markets to advance a more equitable capitalism.
We lead a dynamic portfolio of experimental ideas and established workstreams that are anchored in our point of view. This includes efforts to seed a new economic paradigm, rebuild worker power and voice, reorient the role of businesses and capital markets, curb monopoly power, and strengthen the ability of grassroots organizations to mobilize and advocate on economic issues.
We are looking for two new Principals who are creative, curious, and passionate about our mission. Principals play an integral role in leading specific portfolios of work within our strategy, developing and executing influence strategies, grants and investments, and managing relationships with key partners. The Principal may also have management responsibilities for ON colleagues as well as external consultants.
The Reimagining Capitalism team believes structural changes are required for our economy in order to build a capitalism that works for everyone. We are seeking candidates who thrive when working with complex problems, and who bring an expansive approach in exploring ways to bring about systems change. We seek to build a team with varied strengths and experiences, and we welcome individuals who approach influence and social change strategies from a diverse array of experiences and perspectives - including organizing, advocacy, policymaking, journalism, marketing and communications, economics, behavioral psychology, anthropology, philanthropy, and others.
ON pursues impact through ideas, innovation and influence. We rethink the fundamental assumptions upon which society, technology, and the economy have been built, and seek to address the root causes that drive how a system works – or doesn’t. We publish our points of view to anchor our strategies and work, and to be transparent about our sought impact. Our structure allows us to be nimble and shift priorities and tactics underneath our broader goals. We do not run programs in perpetuity, and are willing to pivot, experiment and take strategic risks, with a strong emphasis on learning. We support a wide range of strategies for achieving influence and impact, such as crafting narratives through campaigns and storytelling; working with organizers and base building groups to build power; convening partners to support coordination and movement building; advocating for policy change; and deploying investment for impact.
How you will contribute to our impact:
Strategy and Insights: You will explore new ideas, discover and assess opportunities, and use excellent judgment and critical thinking to help us decide how to invest our time and resources to achieve our desired impact.
- Work with us to develop the RC team’s overall strategy, influence and impact goals, and selection and prioritization the focus areas for our work.
- Identify new insights, opportunities, and lines of inquiry to explore under the Reimagining Capitalism theme.
- Conduct research and engage partners to better diagnose complex problems, identify hypotheses on potential solutions, explore influence approaches, assess strategic fit, clarify where and how ON can uniquely partner in service of impact.
Relationships and Networks: We take the “Network” part of our name seriously. Participating in funder coalitions and collaborating with a variety of partners, you will:
- Build out our network across a wide range of demographically and philosophically diverse constituencies, including nonprofit and advocacy organizations, grassroots networks, policy makers and legislative staffers, business leaders and investors, storytellers, media, academics, pollsters, and more.
- Collaborate with partner organizations and other funders, and identify ways ON can collaborate with them, add value to their work, and learn from their experience.
Portfolio Development, Management, and Learning: You will work across multiple areas of our Reimagining Capitalism strategy, sometimes supporting a team lead, and other times driving the work.
- Develop a pipeline of activities to advance our impact goals, utilizing tools appropriate to the task including narrative, media strategies, advocacy, research, convening, contracting, grant making, and more.
- Scope, diligence, and execute individual grants, contracts, and investments, working in partnership with ON's internal teams, to manage these activities through their full lifecycle.
- Engage with influence and funding partners to advance their learning; and use learning to inform the Reimagining Capitalism team’s strategy and priorities.
- Contribute to our core management processes, including team meetings and strategic retreats, knowledge management, and strategic planning, budgeting, and reporting.
- Where appropriate, serve in formal governance roles or informal advisory capacities.
- Represent ON at external meetings and forums; develop points of view, articles, and blogs; and leverage social media to engage with audiences we want to connect with.
What you will bring to the team
- 5-10 years of relevant professional experience, and strong networks and relationships in your field.
- An action orientation and proven track record of applying innovative influence strategies to complex problems
- Excellent communications skills and attention to detail.
- Strong interest in understanding diverse perspectives, experimenting with innovative approaches, learning from mistakes and comfort with ambiguity.
- An ability to establish trust and credibility, forge and maintain close relationships, work collegially and exhibit humility and respect in your internal and external relationships.
- Expertise in economic policy is preferred but not required (e.g. labor/worker organizing, corporate governance, financial sector reform, tax, social protection programs, etc.)
In lieu of a cover letter, candidates may opt to submit a 1-page brief addressing the following:
Please make the case for one key issue Omidyar Network should prioritize for its reimagining capitalism work, given the principles laid out in our point of view.
Please submit your application by January 29, 2021 in order to be eligible for the first round of screening and interviews.
Due to COVID-19, the application process for this role will be entirely virtual. We are currently working remotely and these roles will likely begin this position remote as well, however we will expect the candidate to be in office once health conditions allow.
At Omidyar Network, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but they often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to have outsized positive returns on the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Omidyar Network is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.