About Omidyar Network:
Omidyar Network is a philanthropic investment firm dedicated to harnessing the power of markets to create opportunity for people to improve their lives. Established in 2004 by philanthropists Pam and Pierre Omidyar, the founder of eBay, the organization has committed more than $1 billion to innovative for-profit companies and non-profit organizations to catalyze economic and social change. To learn more, visit www.omidyar.com, and follow on Twitter @omidyarnetwork.
About the Beneficial Tech Team:
The original promise of technology was that it would change our lives for the better. It’s increasingly clear that technology changes faster than the norms that govern it.
We invest and co-create solutions to better anticipate, prevent and correct issues arising from the products we use.
Examples of our work include:
- EthicalOS, a co-creation with Institute for the Future. This product framework is crafted to help tech teams plan for potential risks at the roadmap stage has been tested by 50+ companies, from Techstars startups to Google’s X.
- The Responsible Computer Science Challenge, a collaboration with Mozilla, Schmidt Futures and Craig Newmark Philanthropies to integrate ethics into core, technical Computer Science coursework.
- Investment in Tristan Harris’ Center for Humane Tech, DotEveryone (UK) and Coworker.org, organizations that help tech employees self-organize.
- Convening 130 leaders, including big tech VPs, thought leaders, VCs and grantees, to develop solutions to our biggest tech challenges.
The time is now to move quickly to create the change we seek, and we are building a strong team of passionate and entrepreneurial individuals. We are starting with small bets and scaling up what works to change the system. We’re looking to spark a movement of technologists committed to designing technology that’s best for the world.
Based in Redwood City, CA, this role reports into our senior team. This is an opportunity for an innovative leader to play a formative role in shaping the movement we’ve begun to seed, from offline convenings to the industry letter we released in support of the Responsible CS Challenge. The Principal, Community will work to create and deepen relationships that will catalyze our efforts and devise ways to influence the conversation both publicly and privately.
Ways to contribute to our impact:
- Use your diverse network and relationships to build an ecosystem of tech influencers, employees and supporters hungry for change. Through distinctive live events, storytelling, and other tools, you will gain early feedback from the right audiences, and pursue fundable opportunities.
- Reframe the narrative: You will drive awareness of our mission and craft points of view that will resonate with tech executives and employees, investors, entrepreneurs, and media professionals.
- Shape hypotheses, structure experiments, assess opportunities, make and manage investments. You will engage our partners and grantees to communicate strategies, priorities and impact.
What you'll bring to the team:
- Talent for building online and in-person influence and networksto share new ideas, build relationships, gain consensus and activate change. You are able to influence without authority with a rich, global and diverse network.
- Telling the right stories to shape messages and excel at transforming complex ideas into memorable narratives.You know when to be a risk taker and be edgy, and when to rely on convention.
You have 7+ years of relevant experience, which might include:
- Managing networks and communities of interest. Bonus points if this covers both online and offline!
- Working on influence campaigns/movement building, policy/advocacy, or strategic communications, at a startup or larger tech firm
- Testing and building something from scratch, as an entrepreneur or intrapreneur
- Venture investing, philanthropic grantmaking or strategic program development useful, but not required
- Sense of humor and desire to collaborate
- High sense of personal responsibility and integrity
- BA/BS and, possibly, a graduate degree
At Omidyar Network, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but they often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to have outsized positive returns on the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Omidyar Network is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.