About Omidyar Network:
Omidyar Network is a philanthropic investment firm dedicated to harnessing the power of markets to create opportunity for people to improve their lives. Established in 2004 by philanthropists Pam and Pierre Omidyar, the founder of eBay, the organization has committed more than $1 billion to innovative for-profit companies and non-profit organizations to catalyze economic and social change. To learn more, visit www.omidyar.com, and follow on Twitter @omidyarnetwork.
About the Beneficial Tech Team:
The original promise of technology was that it would change our lives for the better. It’s increasingly clear that technology changes faster than the norms that govern it.
The Beneficial Tech team draws upon our founders, Pierre and Pam Omidyar, and Omidyar Network’s long-standing beliefs in the promise of technology to create opportunity, empower people and promote social good. The team works across multiple initiatives to influence the change we seek. We partner with technologists to invest and co-create solutions to better anticipate, prevent and correct issues arising from the products we use. A few examples of our work include:
- EthicalOS, a co-creation with Institute for the Future. This product framework designed to help tech teams plan for potential risks at the roadmap stage has been tested by 50+ companies, from Techstars startups to Google’s X.
- The Responsible Computer Science Challenge, a collaboration between us, Mozilla, Schmidt Futures and Craig Newmark Philanthropies that will award up to $3.5M for undergraduate faculty to integrate ethics into core, technical Computer Science coursework.
- Investment in the Tristan Harris’ Center for Humane Tech, DotEveryone (UK) and Coworker.org, organizations that help tech employees self-organize.
- Convening 130 leaders, including big tech VPs, thought leaders, VCs and grantees, to build shared identity and develop potential solutions to our biggest tech challenges.
The time is now to move quickly to create the change we seek, and we are building a strong team of passionate and entrepreneurial individuals who thrive on taking an experimental approach. We are starting with small bets and scaling up what works to change the system. We’re looking to spark a movement of technologists committed to designing technology that’s best for the world.
Based in Redwood City, CA, this role reports into the Beneficial Tech leadership. This is an opportunity for an innovative leader to play a formative role in shaping the movement we’ve begun to seed, from offline convenings to the industry letter we released in support of the Responsible CS Challenge. You’ll be our in-house community builder, working to create and deepen relationships that will catalyze our efforts. You’ll devise ways to influence the conversation both publicly and privately, and you’ll amplify the success of our investments and co-creations.
For the past year, the team has been working to fund and co-create tests to influence product change and has begun to build an embryonic community; this role will take our work to the next level.
How you’ll contribute to our impact:
- Build a movement using your diverse network and relationships: Core to this work is designing and executing, alongside our team, a strategy to build a movement of tech influencers, employees and supporters eager for change. Through distinctive live events, storytelling, and other tools, you’ll help us gain early feedback from the right audiences, ensure fundable opportunities come to us, and craft an aspirational solutions-focused identity with which this community is proud to affiliate.
- Reframe the narrative: You’ll design positioning for our work that’s bold, optimistic and humble that will resonate across a diverse set of stakeholders (including tech executives, tech employees, investors, entrepreneurs, media and more). In doing so, you’ll not only drive awareness of our work but, more importantly, craft points of view that change hearts and minds.
- Develop and manage strategy for stakeholders and portfolios: You’ll shape hypotheses, structure experiments, assess opportunities, make and manage investments (if relevant) within the influence and movement-building space. You’ll engage our stakeholders, from grantees to partners, to communicate strategies, priorities and impact.
What you'll bring to the team:
- Talent for building online and in-person influence and networks to share new ideas, build relationships, gain consensus and activate change. You’re a strong relationship builder who excels at influencing without authority with a rich, global and diverse network to tap into.
- Track record of telling the right stories to shape messages across multiple mediums and excel at transforming complex ideas into memorable narratives. You know when to take risks and be edgy, and when to rely on convention.
- As the expert within our small team, you’re comfortable being both strategic and operational, and bring a scrappy inventiveness to all that you do. You’re willing to experiment, to take risks, to learn quickly and pivot appropriately.
We’re open to considering exceptional experience and trajectory, but typically, you have 7+ years of relevant experience, which might include:
- Experience in managing networks and communities of interest. Bonus points if this covers both online and offline
- Working on influence campaigns/movement building, policy/advocacy, or strategic communications and media
- Experience testing and building something from scratch, as an entrepreneur or intrapreneur
- Time working in startup or larger tech firm
- Experience in venture investing, philanthropic grantmaking or strategic program development helpful but not required
- Have a sense of humor, care passionately about team culture and good collaboration
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- High sense of personal responsibility and integrity
- BA/BS and, possibly, a graduate degree
- Your experience working in tech drives your passion for the mission of our team, and you’re aligned to Omidyar Network’s values
Please include a resume and, in lieu of a cover letter, your response to the following prompt (no more than 500 words).
- Which movement has interesting lessons for the move towards responsible tech, and why?
Upload your response where our online application says "Essay Question."
At Omidyar Network, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but they often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to have outsized positive returns on the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Omidyar Network is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.