About Omidyar Network:
Omidyar Network is a market-oriented philanthropic investment firm. We support innovative start-ups and partner with organizations around the world in the service of driving individual empowerment.
Established in 2004 by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife Pam, our efforts today focus on a core set of the most pressing and difficult issues that have emerged in society. Our resources and people are dedicated to reimagining capitalism; promoting the beneficial use of technology; building bridges in a pluralistic world; and fostering individual capabilities. To date, Omidyar Network has committed more than $1 billion to for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations whose work is aligned with our mission.
About the team:
The original promise of technology was that it would change our lives for the better. But it’s increasingly clear that there are negative societal consequences arising from how fast much technology has been built and scaled.
The Tech and Society Solutions Lab draws upon our founders, Pierre and Pam Omidyar’s, and Omidyar Network’s long-standing beliefs in the promise of technology to create opportunity, empowerment and social good. The Lab invests and co-creates solutions to help technologists better anticipate, prevent, and correct issues arising from current and potential future societal downsides of technology and maximize societal upside. A few examples of our work so far includes:
- EthicalOS, a co-creation with Institute for the Future. This product framework designed to help tech teams plan for potential risks at the roadmap stage has been tested by 50+ companies, from Techstars startups to X.
- The Responsible Computer Science Challenge, a collaboration between us, Mozilla, Schmidt Futures and Craig Newmark Philanthropies that will award up to $3.5M for undergraduate faculty to integrate ethics into core, technical Computer Science coursework.
- Investees include Tristan Harris’ Center for Humane Tech, DotEveryone in the UK and Coworker.org, who work to help tech employees self-organize
- A Q1 Retreat that brought together 130 leaders, from big tech VPs to thought leaders, VCs and our grantees, to build shared identity and devise potential solutions
While we know that the time is now in terms of change we seek, these are still early days for our team. We’re a passionate and entrepreneurial group, taking an experimental approach; starting with small bets on various promising points of entry, and scaling up what works so as to change the system. We’re looking to spark a movement of technologists committed to designing tech that’s best for the world.
How you'll contribute to our success:
Based in Redwood City, CA, this role reports into the Tech and Society Solutions Lab lead. This is an opportunity for an exceptional, early career individual to support an experimental team. You'll work across a diverse set of investment responsibilities, including evaluation and diligence for prospective opportunities; strategy; research; learning documentation; impact measurement; board communications and more. This requires excellence in due diligence, financial modeling, writing and crafting arguments and researching new trends.
- Insights: You’ll shape ideas, discover and assess opportunities, and conduct excellent data analysis and research to help us decide where to put our time and resources toward having impact. You’ll leverage the diversity of your education and life experiences to bring highly relevant perspectives to our work.
- Learning: You’ll work with the team to implement learning processes and experiments linked to our strategy, ensuring we measure and reflect on our progress, fail fast, and constantly course-correct. You’ll facilitate learning by tracking relevant news and conversations, shaping hypotheses to guide our work, and writing compelling memos based on rapid research and strong analytics.
- Relationships: Core to our work is building our network with diverse and sometimes high profile external stakeholders. You’ll help us implement systems and suggest efforts to make sure we’re building and maintaining the right relationships.
- Execution: You’ll help us execute on our mission across a range of tasks, including evaluating investments through their full lifecycle; conducting research and analysis (qualitative and quantitative); developing materials to communicate our strategy and progress internally and externally; and problem solving to drive performance and overcome obstacles.
What you bring to the team:
- Track record of strong analytical skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Typically, you have 2-4 years of relevant experience which might include:
- Technology experience, at a startup or larger firm
- Investment banking or other finance experience
- Your experience drives your passion for the mission of our team, and you’re aligned to Omidyar Network’s values
- Sense of humor, care passionately about team culture and good collaboration
- High sense of personal responsibility and integrity
- BA/BS, graduate degree preferred
At Omidyar Network, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but they often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to have outsized positive returns on the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Omidyar Network is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.