About Omidyar Network:
Omidyar Network is a market-oriented philanthropic investment firm. We support innovative start-ups and partner with organizations around the world in the service of driving individual empowerment.
Established in 2004 by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife Pam, our efforts today focus on a core set of the most pressing and difficult issues that have emerged in society. Our resources and people are dedicated to reimagining capitalism; promoting the beneficial use of technology; building bridges in a pluralistic world; and fostering individual capabilities. To date, Omidyar Network has committed more than $1 billion to for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations whose work is aligned with our mission.
About the team:
The original promise of technology was that it would change our lives for the better. But it’s increasingly clear that there are negative societal consequences arising from how fast much technology has been built and scaled.
The Tech and Society Solutions Lab draws upon our founders, Pierre and Pam Omidyar’s, and Omidyar Network’s long-standing beliefs in the promise of technology to create opportunity, empowerment and social good. The Lab invests and co-creates solutions to help technologists better anticipate, prevent, and correct issues arising from current and potential future societal downsides of technology and maximize societal upside. A few examples of our work so far includes:
- EthicalOS, a co-creation with Institute for the Future. This product framework designed to help tech teams plan for potential risks at the roadmap stage has been tested by 50+ companies, from Techstars startups to X.
- The Responsible Computer Science Challenge, a collaboration between us, Mozilla, Schmidt Futures and Craig Newmark Philanthropies that will award up to $3.5M for undergraduate faculty to integrate ethics into core, technical Computer Science coursework.
- Investees include Tristan Harris’ Center for Humane Tech, DotEveryone in the UK and Coworker.org, who work to help tech employees self-organize
- A Q1 Retreat that brought together 130 leaders, from big tech VPs to thought leaders, VCs and our grantees, to build shared identity and devise potential solutions
While we know that the time is now in terms of change we seek, these are still early days for our team. We’re a passionate and entrepreneurial group, taking an experimental approach; starting with small bets on various promising points of entry, and scaling up what works so as to change the system. We’re looking to spark a movement of technologists committed to designing tech that’s best for the world.
Based in Redwood City, CA, this role reports into the Tech and Society Solutions Lab Lead. This is an opportunity for an entrepreneurial leader to play a formative role in shaping the movement TSSL has begun to build, from offline convenings such as our Q1 Retreat to the industry letter we released in support of the Responsible CS Challenge. You’ll be our in-house community builder, working to create and deepen the right relationships. You’ll devise ways to influence the conversation both publicly and privately, and you’ll amplify the success of our investments and co-creations.
For the past year, the team has been working to fund and co-create tests to influence product change and has begun to build an embryonic community; this role will take our work to the next level.
How you’ll contribute to our success:
- Reframe the narrative: You’ll design positioning for our work that’s bold, optimistic and humble that will resonate across a diverse set of stakeholders (including tech executives, tech employees, investors, entrepreneurs, media and more). In doing so, you’ll not only drive awareness of our work but, more importantly, craft points of view that change hearts and minds.
- Movement build using your diverse network and relationships: Core to this work is designing and executing, alongside our team, a strategy to build a movement of tech influencers, employees and supporters eager for change. Through distinctive live events, storytelling, and other tools, you’ll help us gain early feedback from the right audiences, ensure fundable opportunities come to us, and craft an aspirational solutions-focused identity with which this community is proud to affiliate.
- Stakeholder and portfolio strategy and management: You’ll shape hypotheses, structure experiments, assess opportunities, and make and manage investments (if relevant) within the influence and movement-building space. You’ll engage our stakeholders, from grantees to partners, to communicate strategies, priorities and impact.
What you bring to the team:
- Talent for building online and in-person influence and networks to share new ideas, build relationships, gain consensus and activate change. You’re a strong relationship builder who excels at influencing without authority with a rich, global and diverse network to tap into.
- Track record of telling the right stories to shape messages across multiple mediums and excel at transforming complex ideas into memorable narratives. You know when to take risks and be edgy, and when to rely on convention.
- As the expert within our small team, you’re comfortable being both strategic and operational, and bring a scrappy inventiveness to all that you do. You’re willing to experiment, to take risks, to learn quickly and pivot appropriately.
- We’re open to considering exceptional experience and trajectory, but typically, you have 10+ years of relevant experience, which might include:
- Working on influence campaigns/movement building, policy/advocacy, or strategic communications and media
- Experience in managing networks and communities of interest. Bonus points if this covers both online and offline
- Experience testing and building something from scratch, as an entrepreneur or intrapreneur
- Time working in startup or larger tech firm
- Experience in venture investing, philanthropic grantmaking or strategic program development helpful but not required
- Your experience working in tech drives your passion for the mission of our team, and you’re aligned to Omidyar Network’s values
- Have a sense of humor, care passionately about team culture and good collaboration
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- High sense of personal responsibility and integrity
- BA/BS and, possibly, a graduate degree
At Omidyar Network, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but they often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to have outsized positive returns on the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Omidyar Network is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.