ABOUT OMIDYAR NETWORK:
Omidyar Network is a market-oriented philanthropic investment firm. We support innovative start-ups and partner with organizations around the world in the service of driving individual empowerment.
Established in 2004 by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife Pam, our efforts today focus on a core set of the most pressing and difficult issues that have emerged in society. Our resources and people are dedicated to reimagining capitalism; promoting the beneficial use of technology; building bridges in a pluralistic world; and fostering individual capabilities. To date, Omidyar Network has committed more than $1 billion to for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations whose work is aligned with our mission.
ABOUT THE EDUCATION TEAM:
Our mission is to unlock human potential through learning by catalyzing people, ideas and systems – so every individual can contribute and thrive in a changing and interdependent world. We seek to establish the preeminent platform catalyzing the future of global learning, supporting generations of curious, life-long and life-wide learners to take on the challenges of their own lives, communities and the world. We approach our work with a sense of urgency and action to elevate quality learning for all and reach the millions of learners being left behind. We hold a unique position in the education sector, defined by our global platform and dual checkbook approach.
Reporting to the Managing Partner and serving as an integral, founding member of the senior management team, the Vice President - Global Finance & Operations will be responsible for the development of the firm’s financial strategy and contribute to the development of the firm’s strategic goals.
In addition to the strategic components, the Vice President - Global Finance & Operations will be charged with developing and implementing more sophisticated policies and procedures both in the finance and general operational realms, including people operations, legal, IT and facilities. A combination of creativity and ambition alongside a strong track record of problem-solving and change management will be critical in this exciting, new role.
Job responsibilities include:
- Advise Managing Partner and other senior leaders on financial planning, budgeting, and policy matters
- Plan, coordinate, and execute the annual budget and audit processes
- Assess current systems, policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures
- Collaborate with colleagues to implement new processes and organizational routines that maximize internal efficiency and external impact
- Assess and implement administrative and operational accounting services such as grants payment processing, payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing
- Build and maintain relationships with outsourced partners to provide quality financial service delivery
- Effectively communicate on all financial and operations matters, including with Board of Directors, as required
- Assess and implement HRIS systems and oversee data migration during the transition
- Build and maintain relationships with outsourced partners to provide quality HR service delivery
- Assess and recommend IT systems to maximize internal effectiveness and efficiency as well as external impact
- Implement and maintain relationships with outsourced partners to provide quality IT service delivery
- Serve as the primary liaison with Omidyar Network’s best-in-class legal team on internally-facing matters and externally-facing contracts, investments and grants
- Serve as the primary liaison with Omidyar Network’s facilities team on matters related to facilities in Redwood City, Washington D.C., Nairobi, Sao Paulo and London.
- Complete annual portfolio valuation exercise for for-profit portfolio of investees.
- Across all functions, our vision is that all of our leaders also be in-service to our investees. Thus, while this position will spend the vast majority of their time focused on internal efforts, they will also act as Finance/Operations support for our portfolio of investees.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Our ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Strong process skills
- Deep appreciation and comfort with analytical rigor and clarity
- Sharp communication skills including excellence in writing and presenting
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and partners around the world
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Desire to build something from scratch and wear multiple hats
- Desire to travel (less than 10%) and serve as an ambassador to our portfolio teams
- MBA or equivalent degree (preferred)
- 10+ years of experience in business, finance and operations (required); 3+ years in one or more roles managing internal operations at a fund / investment shop (preferred)
Pitch Deck for the position can be found here
COMMITMENT TO SHARED VALUES:
We approach our work with great appreciation and recognition of the gift and responsibility with which we have been entrusted - to make meaningful impact in catalyzing human potential around the globe. As such, our values are integral to our culture, and include: purpose & equity; integrity & compassion; bold & learning; collaborative & diverse; joy & appreciation.
At Omidyar Network, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but they often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to have outsized positive returns on the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Omidyar Network is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.