About Omidyar Network:
Omidyar Network is a philanthropic investment firm dedicated to harnessing the power of markets to create opportunity for people to improve their lives. Established in 2004 by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife Pam, the organization invests in and helps scale innovative organizations to catalyze economic and social change.
Omidyar Network has committed more than $1 billion to for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations that foster economic advancement and encourage individual participation across multiple initiatives, including Digital Identity, Education, Emerging Tech, Financial Inclusion, Governance & Citizen Engagement, Impact Investing, Property Rights and Tech and Society Solutions Lab.
We are seeking a Chief of Staff to support our new Managing Partner (MP) and help coordinate – and, at times, lead -- the execution of strategic initiatives and priorities throughout the organization. We are looking for an experienced leader to manage strategic projects, represent Omidyar Network externally, engage in depth with the Omidyar Network Board, and keep a pulse on all important issues within the organization. This is a highly visible role that provides an up-close perspective on what it takes to run a global organization and impact fund. It is a very dynamic role (no two days will look the same!) that requires superior organizational and people skills, as well as comfort with ambiguity and frequent change.
Your responsibilities would include:
- Oversee and manage the strategic priorities of the MP, senior leadership teams, and the organization. Serve as an advisor to the MP and senior leadership. Organize and lead senior leadership meetings and offsites.
- Provide a bridge for effective communication between the MP, senior leadership, and internal teams, and build strong relations crucial to effective collaboration across the company.
- Develop trusted relationships with our Board members, and serve as a Board liaison for the MP on matters both tactical and strategic. Ensure information and action items from Board meetings are flowing through the organization.
- Work cross-functionally to ensure the operational rhythms of the organization are running smoothly, and manage key processes (i.e., assist on budgeting process, manage annual performance reviews with the Board, etc). Jump in to fill any functional gaps as needed.
- Develop, cultivate, and build structure around ON’s external “network,” including building relationships with newly autonomous ON Initiatives like our governance and financial inclusion entities, other Omidyar Group entities, and developing a network of socially-oriented investors in Silicon Valley.
- Represent Omidyar Network externally, and take meetings on behalf of the MP.
- Work on special projects that are strategic to the organization (e.g., developing an organizational dashboard to ensure key outcomes are being met through the establishment and measurement of organizational KPIs).
- Collaborate closely with the leadership of human capital and marketing/comms team to set and manage a rhythm of internal communications.
- Participate in key corporate strategy processes, including reviews and development of new functions or areas of work.
- There may be opportunity to hire and grow a small team to work under the office of the MP.
- Demonstrated passion for ON’s social mission and purpose
- 15+ years of relevant professional experience, including experience in leadership roles within fast-moving organizations
- Superb ability and attention to detail, tracking, follow-through, and execution to manage multiple work streams at once
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally, and influence and manage multiple stakeholders
- Excellent people skills and ability to quickly earn trust and credibility with senior leaders and Board members
- High degree of comfort with change and ambiguity
- Demonstrated experience with strategy processes and strategic judgment
- Experience in the financial services sector (especially VC or PE), management consulting, technology sector, philanthropy/social impact work, and/or start-ups
- Self-starter able to lead and execute on work, taking on a variety of roles, across multiple geographic locations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
This person will based out of either our Washington DC or Redwood City, CA (San Francisco Bay Area) offices.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter describing how your specific past experiences make you a good fit for this role. Resumes will not be considered without a thoughtful cover letter.
Omidyar Network firmly believes that diversity and inclusion makes us more successful in our work, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.