OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
At a Glance
- 100M+ Downloads
- 20M+ monthly users
- Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
About the role:
The Discovery team is responsible for presenting the most relevant content to users and for helping buyers find what they are looking for on OfferUp. We like to think of our charter as being the “Google for OfferUp”. Our team leverages technologies such as ElasticSearch, AWS, Google Cloud and Machine Learning to show the most accurate and relevant content to users and is constantly working to improve search. We manage some of the highest TPS services within OfferUp. We have barely scratched the surface in terms of what we want to do and the potential is infinite.
As a Senior Software Development Engineer you will be leading features from concept to fruition. Your responsibilities will include everything from design, writing well-architected and thoroughly tested code to rolling out the feature by analyzing metrics. You also get to take ownership beyond your technical area by working with cross-functional team members, and mentoring other engineers.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Be one of our first engineers in Mexico and join a mature startup.
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies/best practices to maximize development efficiency.
- Optimize the performance and scalability of the OfferUp infrastructure as the service continues to grow.
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automation.
- Provide mentorship and technical direction to team members on a day to day basis.
- Responsible for the operational excellence of the team.
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Strong coding skills in Java, .NET, Scala, or other modern programming languages
- Excellent knowledge of Data Structures and Algorithms
- Experience with building highly scalable web services and/or real-time messaging systems
- Be comfortable designing stateless or stateful services on top of cloud infrastructure like AWS
- Experience with Agile development
- Above all, you thrive in a culture that values collaboration, mentorship, and learning
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related discipline
- Excellent communication skills both written and spoken (fluency in English required)
Helpful, but not required:
- Prior proven experience of being a technical lead and/or scrum master.
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Github repo with your own code we can view
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.