OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and reinvent local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust.
At a Glance
In March 2020, OfferUp acquired LetGo, making the combined company the largest mobile marketplace in the U.S.
- 90M+ Downloads
- Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15+ percent of adults in key markets like Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami and Las Vegas use OfferUp every month
Due to the current pandemic, OfferUp offices are closed in Bellevue, Wa, and Miami, FL, and employees are working remotely until June 30, 2021. Once OfferUp deems it safe to open the offices, employees will have an option to continue to work remotely or in-office. All employees must reside in Washington, Florida, North Carolina, Nevada, Texas, Tennessee, whether working remotely full time or in an OfferUp Office location.
About the role:
As Principal Software Engineer for OfferUp you will report directly to the VP of Engineering to lead and influence teams across our entire technology ecosystem. This will be the most Senior Engineer and the first Principal Engineer for OfferUp. You'll therefore be a key influencer for the future of the role at OfferUp by establishing the standards of the practice. With your vision, passion, and enormous skill, you will set the course for OfferUp Engineering to continuously evolve technically in support of business at a massive scale. Along with being impactful technically you will also lead and mentor Staff and Senior Engineers across all OfferUp Engineering teams.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Oversee the design, architecture and implementation of all new systems, with a strong focus of delivery to our customers.
- Use creativity and skills in combination with your leadership to innovate elegant solutions for problems at every level of our tech stack.
- Iterate quickly and ship code frequently.
- Lead a collaborative team to define the long term technology vision at OfferUp.
- Set best practices influencing not only the team, but the entire OfferUp Engineering Organization.
- Research and champion adoption and use of new technologies within OfferUp.
- Maintain a high operational excellence with a dedication to reliable, maintainable, exceptional products for OfferUp customers.
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- 15+ years of professional software engineering experience, of which at least 4 were devoted to web services.
- 4+ years of experience in microservice cloud-based systems
- Experience performing data analysis and translating the results into business recommendations and requirements.
- Experience in working with data-driven applications at massive scale.
- Superbe coding abilities in Java, Scala, Golang or any other modern programming language combined with deep knowledge in object-oriented design and microservices architecture
- Experience with Cloud Architecture (AWS preferred), Containers, and Kubernetes.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, Information Science, or equivalent experience
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Helpful, but not required:
- Experience with anomaly detection, bot detection, machine learning, pattern recognition, and/or data mining.
- Experience writing asynchronous services in Java.
- Experience with GraphQL, Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence, React Native, Node.JS.
- Knowledge of Gradle, Terraform, JMeter, Docker, Kubernetes, and other leading-edge technologies.
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.