From the very beginning, OfferUp has believed that the right people united by the right mission can redefine the possible.
OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and help more people discover value right where they are.
At a Glance
- 85+ Million Downloads
- Geekwire App of Year
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
The Advertising Team is looking for a Staff Backend Engineer to join us as we disrupt the local mobile marketplace.
As a Staff Backend Engineer on the Advertising team, you will own and execute projects from idea to delivery, lead architecture discussions, do regular code reviews, and mentor others as our team solves new and complex challenges around OfferUps Ad Tech. You’ll be responsible for working with our Product, Client Developers, backend peers and Biz ops experts to come up with new efficient, scalable solutions and iterate on existing ones.
- Collaborates with cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features and/or iterations of existing features
- Works with the team to develop the technical strategy for Ad platform/features.
- Develops, tests, releases and documents code using best software engineering practices to ensure timely service delivery and ease of maintenance
- Continuously discovers, evaluates, and implements new technologies/best practices to maximize development efficiency
- Dedicated to optimizing the performance and scalability of the OfferUp infrastructure as the service continues to grow
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automation.
- Collaborate if needed with third-party providers, and evaluate/debug/implement 3rd party SDKs.
- Provide mentorship to other team members, and create solutions and/or frameworks that make other team members better and faster
- Identify, track and find solutions to software defects identified both internally and externally
- 8+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Demonstrate strong coding skills in any one of the following - Java, Python, C/C++, Golang, Scala, PHP (or equivalent programming language)
- Excellent knowledge of Data Structures and Algorithms
- Experience with building highly scalable web services
- Be comfortable designing services on top of cloud infrastructure like AWS
- Above all, an insatiable desire and ability to learn
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Exceptional self-management skills during the execution of complex problems and tasks
- You desire a fast-moving, continuous flow development environment
- Experienced with Agile development
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related discipline
Nice to have
- Working knowledge of eCommerce payment systems
- Experience developing Ad Tech
- Github repo with your own code we can view
Come do work that matters. Join a team that believes when we all work together, we get more out of things.
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.