From the very beginning, OfferUp has believed that the right people united by the right mission can redefine the possible.
OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and help more people discover value right where they are.
At a Glance
- 85+ Million Downloads
- Geekwire App of Year
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
OfferUp is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead efforts for the Catalog team. The team builds systems that manage our marketplace catalog. These systems process incoming metadata from external providers, for millions of listings, and manage the workflow to publish in our marketplace. They also ensure timely updates of product information and availability with high quality and low latency for OfferUp’s users.
In this role, you will lead a high functioning team of backend engineers. You will foster an engineering culture focussed on learning and rapid validation of ideas through experimentation. As an engineering leader you will support the career growth and development of our engineers and continuously improve our engineering/operational excellence. You will also collaborate with our product, design, and data science teams to design and improve our customer experience.
What you’ll do
- Build and lead engineering team in achieving a high level of technical quality, reliability, and ease-of-use
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with OfferUp's recruiting team
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Develop the technical strategy for catalog content ingestion, processing and publishing
- Develop highly scalable pipelines without compromising the quality of ingested data
- Extend Catalog with rich metadata ingestion and integration for contextual search and suggestions (e.g Size & Color for Clothes, Year, Make & Model for Autos)
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams (Merchants Api, Discovery, Integrity) to design and implement new features
- Drive engineering and operational excellence across Catalog and OfferUp-wide Backend teams
- Collaborate with OfferUp-wide engineering teams to improve processes, surface common pain points, develop solutions and evangelize best practices
- Identify when to replace and when to rebuild legacy systems
- Participate in a reasonable on-call rotations with the rest of the team
What you’ll need
- 8+ years of relevant engineering work experience and 4+ hands-on management experience
- Exceptional coding abilities and experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications
- Track record in partnering with recruiting to build incredible engineering teams
- Actively coached and mentored team members in their careers
- Actively involved in setting product strategy
- Shipped several large scale projects with multiple dependencies across teams
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Experience with high scale catalog or structured data services
- Experience writing code in Python or Java
- Experience in building microservices
- Experience with cloud infrastructure AWS
Come do work that matters. Join a team that believes when we all work together, we get more out of things.
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.