OfferUp is looking for an experienced developer to help lead our Integrity team. The Integrity team is responsible for stopping fraud behavior across different transactions (Item posts, Chat, Payments, Account takeovers) and maintaining our community guidelines, along with partnering with other teams to support our growth and business strategies.
From the very beginning, OfferUp has believed that the right people united by the right mission can redefine the possible.
OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and help more people discover value right where they are.
At a Glance
- 85+ Million Downloads
- Geekwire App of Year
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
Why join our team?
At many organizations, your role begins and ends with the code. On our team, we’re different. You own a feature from concept to fruition. Your responsibilities will include everything from writing well architected and thoroughly tested code, to rolling out the feature by analyzing metrics. You also get to take ownership beyond your technical area by working with cross-functional team members.
As a tech lead in our team, you will set the technical strategy for our team, build the highly scalable systems to detect and prevent fraud and continuously improve our engineering/operational excellence.
What you’ll do
- Develop the technical fraud and risk strategy for our team
- Develop highly scalable classifiers and tools leveraging machine learning, data regression and rules based models
- Analyze the latest attacker techniques and apply solutions to detect them holistically and stop them proactively
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams (risk analysts, data science and operations) to design and implement new features
- Drive engineering and operational excellence across Integrity team and OfferUp-wide Backend team
- Collaborate with OfferUp wide engineering teams to surface common pain points, develop solutions and evangelize best practices
- Identify when to replace and when to rebuild legacy systems
- Support, mentor, and help others engineers in the team
- Participate in a reasonable on-call rotations with rest of the team
What you’ll need
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience, of which at least 3 were devoted to web services
- 2+ years of experience in fraud-detection and prevention systems
- Experience performing data analysis and translating the results into business recommendations
- Experience in working with data-driven applications at scale
- Strong coding skills in Java, Python, Scala, Golang or any other modern programming language coupled with strong knowledge in object oriented design and microservices architecture
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, Information Science, or a related discipline
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Experience with anomaly detection, bot detection, machine learning, pattern recognition and/or data mining
- Experience writing code in Python or Java
- Experience in building microservices
- Experience with cloud infrastructure AWS
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally...Come do work that matters. join the team and take the ride of your life!
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.