Freelance Environmental Designers are an integral member of the creative output at OBE on largescale event projects. A designer in this role demonstrates knowledge of experiential marketing and environmental design specifically for events, possessing excellent technical design skills and communication skills. They are primarily responsible for the execution of floor plans, 3d models, renderings, fabrication drawings, or other spatial or scenic elements for experiential projects. They also track approvals, file organization and overall quality control of spatial design and fabrication into the execution phase.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- CONCEPTING: Create working drawings, storyboards, layouts, mood boards, and mockups to evaluate and present ideas in initial project phases. Generate ideas that solve design problems and meet the needs of the project.
- DESIGN: Create outstanding 3D designs to demonstrate concepts in support of strategies developed for assigned projects. Efficiently manage presentation documents, digital assets, print assets, floor plans, renderings, build drawings, and all other creative components on assigned projects.
- PRESENTATION: Present research, concepts and designs with polished and professional visual tools and verbal skills both internally, to project teams, and externally to clients. Understand larger company goals and be an ambassador for the agency at all times.
- INTERNAL COMMUNICATION: Effectively communicate within the design process to ensure optimal performance within budget and adherence to all deadlines. Coordinate with internal teams leading up to and during activations to ensure approved creative materials are delivered on a timely basis, always maintaining consistency and quality.
- EXTERNAL COMMUNICATION: Coordinate with outside resources, including vendors, printers, and contractors as needed for completion of the design and build out. Present work to clients in a polished manner that best represents the work and the agency.
- REFLECT + GROW: Maintain a broad understanding of how the audience interacts with activation designs and make use of the knowledge in the development of new projects. Learn from each new task and apply that knowledge immediately and continually. Seek out inspiration and share insights with internal teams to help educate and inspire.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Product Design, Industrial Design, Environmental Design, Interior Design, Architecture, or similar discipline.
- 2-5 years of industry/agency/internship experience in Design for events + activations, marketing, advertising, or similar.
- Strong portfolio of creative work, including 3D designs for experiential projects.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- 3D + FAB: Skills in Sketchup (Vray, Podium), Vectorworks, AutoCAD, Revit, Rhino, Studio 3D Max, Cinema 4D, or similar proficiency in 3D modeling software required. Knowledge of materials + fabrication processes required.
- 2D + PRINT: Knowledge of Adobe CC (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, etc) is preferred. Understanding of substrates + print techniques, print file prep, proofs, and print standards is ideal.
- PRESENTATION: Keynote, Powerpoint, Google Docs/Slides, proficiency required.
- ADMIN: Google Docs, Microsoft Office, Dropbox, proficiency required.
- SOCIAL MEDIA: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, proficiency recommended.
OTHER QUALITIES AND SKILLS
- Possess excellent organizations, interpersonal, and written communication skills.
- Articulate design solutions to team members and clients effectively.
- Translate strategic vision into tangible project design deliverables that meet project needs and garner approvals.
- Multi-task while coordinating multiple projects + resources.
- Embody a strong work ethic and ability to thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic workplace.
- Make smart decisions in accordance with company policies + procedures.
- Be a team player who collaborates easily + brings creative momentum to projects.
- High energy and stamina and flexibility in working non-traditional hours as needed (some nights and weekends).