SUMMARY OF POSITION
We are looking for an inspirational Design Director (Environmental) to lead our team in producing premium and award-winning integrated experiential marketing campaigns for our world-renown clients. OBE Design Directors are responsible for completing projects from briefing stage through execution. This consists of managing the design process and designers within the creative team and collaborating with internal and external partners to ensure the client’s needs are being met with premium design ideas and creative solutions.
The Design Director (Environmental) will be a critical component in the generation of experiential concept development, environmental designs, spatial planning, and presentation design. They will thrive in a high-pressure, constantly changing, fast-paced environment managing multiple projects and tight timelines and inspire designers to create killer creative solutions for our clients.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Present innovative and effective solutions and sell creative ideas internally and to clients.
- Manage conceptual development and the execution of design deliverables. Strive to continually increase the quality level of design work created at OBE.
- Manage and/or mentor other Creative team members, teaching them and guiding their growth.
- Work directly on the environmental design development and execution of 3-D (spatial / rendering) and 2-D (graphic) designs.
- Lead and generate 3D designs across existing and emerging experiential platforms including: events, mobile marketing tours, product launches, press events, retail, social campaigns, tech conferences, sporting events, PR stunts, online content or campaigns, and a wide variety of other brand touch-points.
- QUALITY CONTROL:
- Understand a corporate brand and properly adhere to guidelines/requirements within design suggestions + executions.
- Execute the design of creative concepts and assure sound mechanical production.
- Work with in-house producers and external vendors to maintain quality of design through fabrication, on-site execution and installation.
- Articulate design decisions in a clear and compelling way, crafting stories and rationales to help sell-in environmental design concepts.
- Translate input from Leadership, Creative Directors, and clients to designers and effectively apply feedback to design executions.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of current trends within the experiential industry as well as outside experiential, bringing in diverse design ideas that excite and inspire our internal teams and our clients.
- Ignite and contribute to great creative.
- Build productive relationships with teammates, vendors, and clients.
- Effectively collaborate with team members in all departments.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- REQUIRED Bachelor's Degree in 3-D Design or related field (Interior Design, Architecture, Industrial design, Exhibition Design, Environmental Design, etc.)
- 5-10 years of experience in design leadership in an agency or brand setting managing projects and creative staff.
- Experience in collaborating with various contractors and vendors to ensure quality execution of print, fabrication, and technical elements, while keeping an eye on pushing boundaries of aesthetics and ideas.
- Experiential and/or event marketing experience preferred.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS + ABILITIES
- 3D technical design expertise including ability to create floor plans, renderings, construction drawings, etc. within Sketchup, AutoCAD, Cinema4D, Vectorworks (will also consider Rhino, 3D Max, Revit, etc.)
- 2D technical design knowledge including Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), Keynote, Powerpoint, Google Docs / Slides, etc.
- Strong portfolio of experiential marketing design projects or work in related fields (entertainment, set design, exhibition design, tradeshows, interior design, staging, etc).
- Passion for emerging trends and state of the art technologies as applied to design for experiential marketing.
- Experience with printers, fabricators, installers, technical directors, lighting designers, A/V vendors, and other event professionals.
- An ability to bring together poignant and coherent thinking, cutting edge technical expertise, refined design details and styling, and inspiring creative expression as it relates to client work for brands.
- An ability to promote and inspire a culture of creativity and design innovation with a finger on the pulse of what’s new and possible in various design fields.
OTHER QUALITIES + SKILLS
- Creative Thinker and Design Doer.
- Enthusiastic about creating and presenting amazing design decks and pitches.
- Passionate about spatial design, sightlines, user experience, realistic rendering, environmental graphics, digital interactivity, etc.
- Able to solve complex communications problems and provide clear and effective design solutions to a range of team members or clients.
- Loves to explore creative options, yet understands time management and the correct use of resources in a creative department and design team.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Able to work quickly and precisely in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a calm demeanor.
- Professional personality that interacts well with all levels of agency.
- Able to work in a team environment and support team members on a consistent basis.