We make small businesses more successful through better banking
Our company is looking for a Senior Backend Developer to join our growing team as we enter a new phase of expansion 🚀 We are a San Francisco, New York, and Toronto-based, venture-backed startup at the heart of the FinTech movement that is shaping the way financial services are delivered.
Our company’s purpose is to eliminate the pain that small business owners face through their financial management and banking. To achieve this, we’re rebuilding business banking from the ground up. Imagine you could start with a clean slate and think of a different way to deliver banking to small businesses. What would you change? What would you keep? These are the decisions that we make every day.
NorthOne is a mobile, tech-powered bank account built for startups, freelancers, and small/medium-sized businesses (SMBs). Poor financial literacy has an outsized impact on the costs and failure rates amongst SMBs, and we are on a mission to eliminate these problems. We are more than a banking platform, we are the world-class Finance Department that SMBs could never afford.
We ❤ technology. As Senior Backend Developer you’ll work with our world-class Engineering, Data, and QA teams. You’ll also benefit from our experienced leadership and incredible advisors. Our COO has helped build companies like Frank and Oak and has lectured about growth at SXSW. Oh, and our CEO? 6 years at McKinsey working on digital customer experience in financial services. We’re building a product that solves real pain, vs the imagined kind. Feeling it?
Today you might be a Full Stack Developer, Backend Engineer, Technical Lead or the equivalent in your company...or something that we haven’t heard of yet - we keep an open mind.
The most important characteristic for our Senior Backend Developer is your attitude. We want you to join because you don't see roadblocks, you see opportunities to be at your best. You know that somehow, you can figure anything out.
- You’ll bring forward excellent software engineering knowledge and product mindset
- You’ll bring strong backend experience and are comfortable with solving complex domain challenges at scale.
- You’ll champion quality and performance across the system.
- You'll collaborate with Product Managers, Designers, Backend, and Frontend Developers on your team to conceptualize and build new features for our large (and growing!) user base.
- You’ll improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
Skills, Qualities & Experience
- 5+ years professional experience working on modern web application backend systems in
- Experience with nodejs (ideally Typescript)
- Experience with AWS or other cloud computing platforms
- Experience with serverless and/or event driven system design
- You have designed, built and maintained production systems that support real world applications at scale
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You exhibit a team-first mentality; you are a great role model to your peers and provide constructive feedback to help them level up.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
Technology Stack 💻
Frontend: TypeScript, React.js, React Native, iOS, Android
Backend: TypeScript (nodejs), GraphQL, Lambda, DynamoDB, SQS, EventBridge, Kinesis, Redshift, Cloudformation/Terraform, and other AWS serverless services
Few people have been trained for this sort of role. If you are this close to what we’ve described but aren’t sure, apply. Let’s figure out together if this is where you could shine.
Our mission is big and audacious, but we're assembling a team to take the challenge head on.
As Senior Backend Developer, you'll be joining a team that prioritizes:
- People: Our company is more than just a business. We’re a band of brothers and sisters supporting each other on our mission to rebuild business banking. We’re really serious about mission, fit, and the people we work with. You’ll be part of a rapidly scaling team that reflects these values and keeps this place special.
- Diversity: You'll find yourself in an environment that values diversity and inclusivity. Excellence doesn't come in one flavor and neither should we.
- Leadership: You’re right in the thick of it, making critical decisions that will clear our path forward.
- Top-tier health/dental benefits: We care about the people we work with and put their health first. NorthOne is proud to offer inclusive health and dental coverage.
- Flexible working hours: We don’t clock in and out at set times. You know when you do your best work. We celebrate accomplishments, not how many hours are spent at the office.
- Unlimited paid time off: We hire talented people and know that they need time off to be at their best. Take as much time off as you need to recharge and make sure you’re working sustainably.
- The latest computer equipment: We make sure you have the best equipment so you can produce great work.
- Professional development budget: We support lifelong learners by covering the cost of classes, workshops and conferences. You’ll also get access to our ever-growing library of industry-related books.
- Remote get-togethers: Bond with your teammates over shared interests at regular get-togethers. Find like-minded people who are passionate about everything from sport and music to gaming and cooking.
- One hell of an adventure!
If you recognize yourself in this job description, let's talk.
NorthOne is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and celebrates diversity. We welcome all applicants regardless of race, colour, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or national origin.