About ngrok Inc.
ngrok is simplified, API-first ingress-as-a-service trusted by over 5M developers to get their apps online faster and keep security happy. With one line of code, developers get instant ingress to services with authentication, observability, and other critical controls. All without provisioning legacy proxies, load balancers or VPNs. ngrok’s simplicity has made it a de-facto standard tool among developers, and the world’s top brands — including GitHub, Okta, Shopify, and Twilio — recommend it throughout their documentation.
Our employees are low-ego, curious learners with a passion for developer-first tooling. We use our engineering values steward, replenish, engineer, and be there to guide our work. As a company, we set aside an hour each fortnight for shared introspection about anxieties and excitement, both personal and professional. We’re building an inclusive, remote-first organization that sets each individual up to be their best self.
We believe the total addressable market for ngrok is in excess of $73 billion and are increasing our growth to capture that.
As a software engineer on the Platform team, you will work with your team on the software all engrokkers (ngrok engineers) use to build, deploy, and manage our product. You will approach SRE and DevOps concerns with the mindset and tools of a software engineer.
You should understand running production services with load and latency concerns. Our engineers use a powerful combination of tools including Go, PostgreSQL, nix, gRPC, Terraform, and more. All the code is in our monorepo and driven by extensive protobuf-based code generation. We have an awesome in-house command line tool that wraps all our tooling.
Mentor other members of ngrok in your areas of specialty and contribute to related areas of code that interest you: help us improve our builder tools, mature our infrastructure, and drive scalable architecture.
What you’ll accomplish
Within 30 days
- Review the 30/60/90 plan from your manager
- With your onboarding buddy, make your first commit and deploy
- Complete self-service technical onboarding content
- Update an existing component in our production platform
Within 6 months
- Own engineering improvements to our platform and builder tools: spec, execute with the team, and work with our friends in product engineering for feedback and adoption
- Take responsibility for maintaining our high uptime and customer satisfaction by shadowing, then joining, our on-call rotation
- Own team and org growth through interviewing, mentorship, and teaching
Within 1 year
- Raise the level of fellow engineers through pairing sessions, technical talks, and documentation
- Represent ngrok publicly: on our blog, speaking at meetups, via open-source contributions
- Work with your team to plan long-term, iterative investments in ngrok’s capabilities, operability and performance
- Be an engineering leader who contributes to a healthy and growing organizational culture
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer
- Expertise building and running software at a global scale in AWS or other cloud providers
- Expertise with Go or other compiled languages
- Bonus Points
- Experience with other parts of our tech stack: Kubernetes, nix, rust, gRPC, PostgreSQL, Kafka, Datadog, Honeycomb
- Related domain knowledge in networking, builder tools, or security
All candidates must be US-based, and legally authorized to work in the United States.
If your experience is close but doesn’t fulfill all requirements, please apply. ngrok is on a mission to build a special company. To achieve our goal, we are focused on hiring people with different backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences!
Compensation for this role depends on level, but we provide a competitive mix of salary and equity.
We provide a 401(k) with a 100% match up to 3% of your salary and a 50% match up to another 2%.
We provide healthcare, dental, and vision with premiums fully covered on the base plan for employees. Half of premiums are covered for dependents. We also include long term disability, short term disability, and a term life policy at no cost to employees.
We offer unlimited PTO and a culture in which the overwhelming majority of employees take more than four weeks. Your manager will ensure you do the same.