Locations: New York, Chicago
Note: Applications will not be considered without a thoughtful or relevant cover letter.
Why Next Street?
Next Street’s mission is to help every small business realize their potential. We do that by designing and developing solutions to connect entrepreneurs and small business owners with the right resources at the right time.
We are focused on businesses facing disproportionate barriers. We are committed to becoming an anti- racist organization, have a nearly 20 year track record, and an extensive network of small business advocates, operators, and investors. We accelerate the impact of institutions and advisors on small businesses and provide millions of business owners with the experts, tools, and capital they need to thrive. We know when small businesses thrive, their neighborhoods, cities and our economy do, too.
Additionally, inclusivity is part of our DNA. We are happy to celebrate that with 80% of our team identifying as women and/or people of color, we’re well on our way. Learn more here: https://nextstreet.com/racial-equity/.
Next Street is a special place to work and our values are infused into every aspect of our work:
- We work to challenge systems of injustice through our anti-racist ways of working
- We bring our whole selves to work and strive to create authentic joy everyday
- We utilize creativity and curiosity to put bias towards action in our work
- We are interwoven and empower each other through collaboration and established trust
- We encourage entrepreneurship and always put small business first, both internally and externally
- We grow sustainably and encourage learning through career and professional development
Join us and live out our values every day, while leveling-up your career and helping us to have a transformative impact on the society in which we live.
Why this Role?
Next Street’s Advisory practice is looking for a high-performing Senior Manager to lead strategy consulting engagements, work directly with and advise senior client executives, and manage and coach junior staff. In this role, you will have significant opportunity to help shape and drive Next Street’s next phase of growth. You will thrive in this role if you are passionate about small business and equitable development, enjoy client services and want to work in a nimble, entrepreneurial environment.
We will give you the opportunity to hone your leadership and executive relationship management skills at an accelerated trajectory. Your day-to-day work will be concentrated in three main areas: (1) client engagement and delivery (2) practice and firm management, and (3) business development. Join us and you will get exposure to some of the most complex economic and community development challenges in the country, while working alongside an extraordinary team and accelerating your career.
Your work will consist of…
Client Management & Delivery (70%)
- Manage 2-3 active project teams
- Develop project scope, in partnership with senior staff
- Develop and manage against project plans
- Serve as day-to-day point of contact for clients and senior staff
- Structure and guide qualitative and quantitative market, financial, and organizational analyses
- Develop high-quality and tailored client recommendations
- Present recommendations to and facilitate working sessions with senior client executives
- Oversee development of compelling client deliverables in PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
- Develop and manage long-term relationships with client executives
- Manage project profitability, and ensure effective use of firm resources
- Collaborate across offices, business lines, and levels to leverage the Firm’s expertise to advance client solutions
Practice and Firm Management (20%)
- Serve on consulting practice leadership team; help shape and oversee future vision
- Mentor and coach junior team members
- Participate in recruiting efforts, as needed
- Oversee special projects or take on other responsibilities, as needed
- Contribute to firm knowledge development, codification, and dissemination
Business Development (10%)
- Identify new business development opportunities with existing or new clients
- Support business development processes, including participating in pitch meetings and contributing to proposal development
- You have 5-7+ years of work experience with a top-tier professional services firm, including background in financial services and/or strategy development
- You have 2+ years of experience managing project teams, with demonstrated thought and client leadership
- You have a knack for details and can create order out of chaos
- You have never missed a deadline and find a good workplan satisfying
- You love client services
- You are skilled in PowerPoint and Excel and take pride in well-structured, high-quality deliverables
- You have experience coaching junior staff
- You are motivated by mission and want to spend your days doing fulfilling work
- You are looking for opportunities to grow and accelerate your career
- You enjoy collaborating with teams and believe diversity of thinking gets to better answers
- You are willing to challenge and be challenged, regardless of seniority
What we offer:
We want our team members to bring their best, true selves to work every day. We will offer you:
- Benefits Package – We know you work hard, and we want to reward you for it. We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits packages (including 401k and paid parental leave) for mission-driven work.
- Generous paid time off – We want to ensure you have time to recharge and to pursue your many passions. We give our team members 20 days of paid time off per year, inclusive federal holidays, volunteer days and more!
- Mentorship and Sponsorship – You will have frequent access to our diverse and dynamic senior team. They will be committed to your growth and will invest in mentoring you.
- Career development – We take growth seriously. We give each team member an annual professional development stipend and provide ample coaching.
- Flexibility – It is important that you work when and where you work best. We are flexible with employees to accommodate individual schedules and work preferences. This includes a low travel mode during non-pandemic times.
- Social events and perks – We admire and value our teammates. We plan events throughout the year and provide office snacks so you can perform your best every day and more!
Next Street believes in an equitable and transparent compensation approach. The starting salary range for Senior Manager positions across the firm is $135,000 - $143,333 regardless of location and commensurate with experience. You will also be eligible to participate in Next Street’s discretionary incentive program annually. For new hires, Next Street targets the start of the salary band, although considerations could be made based on job knowledge, skills, and experience. As part of our Antiracism commitment, Next Street uses a pay scale approach and transparent methodology to advance staff within a compensation band based on performance. Next Street does not negotiate compensation offers, as research shows that salary negotiations disadvantage People of Color and women.
Next Street is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.