At Pocket, our mission is to enable people to consume stories worthy of their time and attention. Our apps and platform are essential ways that over 100M people discover and consume content on the web.
Are you excited about the role of content to enrich users’ lives? Do you want to build software for a massive audience? We are looking for a Frontend Engineering Manager to help make this happen. Our Frontend team builds the Pocket experience on the web, our extensions and our integrations with the Firefox browser. We’re looking for a leader that is passionate about building awesome teams, finding innovative solutions to challenging problems, and shipping quality software.
We’re a small team that has the resources and support of a large company. Pocket was acquired by Mozilla in 2017, and together we are committed to an internet that elevates critical thinking, reasoned argument, shared knowledge, and verifiable facts. As our Frontend Engineering Manager, you’ll be responsible for helping ensure our ability to support high quality content on the web. This role is fundamental to Pocket’s success.
Come work with us and make a huge impact on advancing high-quality content on the web.
What you’ll do:
- Lead a distributed team of 6-10 software engineers building our web app, extensions and integrations into the Firefox browser.
- Create an inclusive environment which engages and challenges your team members, exposes them to new opportunities, and grows their careers.
- Set and communicate your team’s goals, and establish plans and schedules to attain them.
- Collaborate with engineers, data scientists, designers, product managers and support teams to implement our product strategy.
- Ensure that the software your team delivers is on time, high quality, measurable, and maintainable.
- Anticipate the right mix of capabilities required for your team to be successful, and recruit and hire new people as needed.
- Work with your peers to continuously improve Pocket’s engineering
- Be rewarded with growth and leadership opportunities for strong performance.
What you already have:
- You have 6 years of overall industry experience, with at least 2 years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience.
- You have the ability to successfully lead and ship complex software projects on time in a loosely structured environment.
- You can hire, coach, motivate, develop, and delegate to geographically distributed team members with different skill sets from your own.
- You can resolve problems, manage risk, lead change, and facilitate collaborative decision-making in a multi-functional team.
- You are able to prioritize and organize the team’s work alongside your product management and design peers
- You possess clear and succinct communication, and the ability to develop positive relationships with subordinates, peers, upper management, and partners.
- You can enable creative thinking and new contributions in your team.
Our team requires skills in a variety of domains. You should ideally have experience with some of the areas listed below, and be passionate about learning new things. We’re excited to see:
- Experience with building modern applications on the web
If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications we still encourage you to apply!
What’s the team like?
We’re a remote-friendly team headquartered in San Francisco, with more than half of our colleagues working from home, co-working spaces, or Mozilla offices. Video conferencing, Slack chats, and shared documents keep everyone in the loop and make sure no one feels isolated. We value transparency and collaboration from the CEO on down.
As a subsidiary of Mozilla, we have the nimbleness of a small team with the resources of a large company, which means each teammate has the opportunity to make a big impact. But we also keep it real: our working hours are flexible—not just because we have team members in different time zones—but because we know you have a life outside the office, and we value that. You’re human, we’re human, and everyone at Pocket is treated with utmost respect.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. We will provide reasonable accommodation to an employee or job applicant with a disability.