We are looking for team players who are excited about being part of a fast-moving company, curious enough to ask questions and explore new ideas, passionate enough to serve our customers and communities, and ready to take ownership of challenges and grow with us. We are a team, first and foremost, and we take pride in our collaborative efforts; Everyone is accountable for achieving our goals.
Motiv is looking for a R&D Data Scientist III to join its Advanced R&D team as a key contributor. As part of a small team, you will distill business- and customer-critical information from various data sources, chiefly Motiv’s extensive warehouse of vehicle field operations data. You will also work both independently and with others across Motiv to create tools and processes to help other stakeholders within and beyond Motiv more effectively use Motiv’s data for decisions related to Motiv’s electric vehicle systems and platforms. Responsibilities include market needfinding, diagnostic tools, data-driven evaluation of proposed problem solutions, modeling, verification of models, technology specification and prototyping. In your interdisciplinary collaboration with Motiv’s engineering, operations, customer support, manufacturing and other teams you may find yourself as mentor, subject matter expert, advisor, implementation helper and/or project leader. The successful candidate will quickly develop data-driven models, insights and capabilities which enable our products and services to more effectively meet fleets’ electrification needs. Candidates should enjoy data set manipulation and the programming to support it, talking with customers and building consensus across diverse stakeholders.
As part of a small team within a small company, you will need to have an entrepreneurial mindset. We are dependent on our team members’ leadership, enthusiasm, creative problem solving and self-motivation across a wide range of both technical and non-technical disciplines. These attributes are as important as the knowledge and skill set required for the work performed. Alignment with Motiv’s values will be essential for your happiness and success in this role – Deep Passion for Freeing Fleets from Fossil Fuel, Curiosity, Customer Focus, Collaboration and Owning It.
Will require occasional domestic travel.
This position reports to the Chief Technology Officer.
- Technology Application Needfinding: data analysis, customer interviews, vehicle ride-alongs and site visits with the goal to see beyond what even our customers see and synthesize new ideas for how data may be used to inform both identified and unidentified opportunities.
- Work with our traditional suppliers and partners as well as established and startup companies in other industries and thought leaders in universities and government: stay current on the state of the art through ongoing dialog with all of the above; think creatively about how to evaluate, translate, adapt and extend the best of new data technology for meeting specific customer needs.
- Consolidate requirements and build specifications: integrate market and technical information to build requirements for new data collection and processing, then work with Motiv’s engineering team to create specifications which are achievable in commercial production in the field
- Data processing: design and build functional data models and processes which may never have been done before in Motiv’s market – or at all.
- Manage new technology evaluation and prototyping projects related to data collection, storage, processing and use: plan project work, conduct gate reviews, bring in other Motiv resources and outside resources as needed, communicate and manage project outcomes.
- Assist Motiv’s development teams: participate in core development projects being carried out by Motiv’s engineering, operations, support and manufacturing teams, especially those projects where an advanced data science perspective is required.
- Help Motiv’s sales and marketing team effectively access, process and use data in ways beneficial to prospective and current customers.
- Adhere to Motiv company policies, procedures, and best-practices.
Required Experience and Skills
- B.S. in Data Science, Computer Science or related field
- Hands-on experience building prototypes, including database coding
- Expertise in:
- Database structures and queries, both relational and timeseries db experience
- Data collection, models, analysis and reporting
- Automation of data reporting
- Post-processing and visualization of large datasets
- Experience with market needfinding and application of technology with a design mindset
- Experience with project management
- Experience in Python or Matlab
- Strong analytical and communications skills
- Familiarity with AWS services, including, RDS, S3, Lambda functions, Quicksight, Tableau, and Athena or Kafka
- MS in Design or related fields
- PhD in Data Science, Computer Science or related fields with data-driven research
- Experience bringing products to market through a product lifecycle
- Experience with product requirements documentation and developing product specifications
- Experience in the automotive or commercial vehicle industries
- Familiarity with building data front-ends would be helpful.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Dental, Vision, HSA, & 401(k), Company paid Basic Life and AD&D, Employee paid Voluntary Life and AD&D.
- Generous PTO policy, 11 Paid Company Holidays
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program) and Education Reimbursement
- Fresh daily snacks and a healthy Work/Life Balance
- Access to Perks at Work - Discounted learning, tickets, electronics, travel, health, restaurants & retail
- Free Online Training & Development
- Bicycle friendly, with bike storage available to all Foster City employees with a 5 minute walk to the scenic Bay Front
- Regular Happy Hours, Company Cultural Events, and more!
Founded in 2009, and headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, Motiv Power Systems, a leading provider of software and technology to electrify medium duty commercial vehicles, is committed to freeing fleets from their dependence on fossil fuels. Motiv’s EPIC (Electric Powered Intelligent Chassis) are CARB certified, GSA approved, and available for many configurations including step vans, box trucks, work trucks, shuttle buses, school buses, trolleys, and other specialty vehicles. An EPIC offers uncompromised performance and functionality without the pollution, noise, heat, and vibration of gasoline or diesel power.
Motiv is the only Ford eQVM-approved provider of all-electric chassis for commercial trucks and buses and benefits from engineering insights and support from Ford to ensure safety and reliability. With more than 500,000 miles logged among several of the largest fleet operators in the United States, the EPIC family eliminates 100% of vehicle emissions, dramatically reduces operating and maintenance costs, and creates a healthier environment for riders and communities, while also reducing driver fatigue.