May Mobility is a self-driving technology company, funded and supported by Toyota. May Mobility is working to transform today's mobility landscape, by starting with a niche market–low-speed shuttles for public roadways. Our vehicles are on the streets navigating complex downtown scenarios and transporting thousands of people on their daily commute every week. We are establishing a ground game that will propel us into even larger markets in the future.
Our team develops driverless technology to give people more time to laugh with friends, to solve an interesting problem, or to enjoy the world around them. We’re hiring people who share our passion for building the future, today.
This role is based in Hiroshima, Japan. In light of recent COVID-related travel restrictions, the ideal candidate will hold a Japanese passport or another passport currently allowed to travel safely to and from Japan (Republic of Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia). The ideal candidate does not need to reside in Hiroshima, but should be able to travel there. Housing and travel accommodations will be provided.
The Field Applications Engineer’s primary role will be hands-on support of a new fleet deployment in Higashi-Hiroshima. The engineer will work intimately with the entire breadth of the system (from the hardware platform to the software autonomy stack) to ensure the success of the launch and safety of the autonomous operation.
- Coordinates and develops the on-site configuration and deployment of autonomous technology in Higashi-Hiroshima
- Creates the localization and semantic map layers the vehicles uses to operate autonomously
- Tests the autonomous operation of the vehicle to ensure it follows May’s standards for safety and rider comfort
- Tests new software updates in the field and ensures that they are ready for release
- Communicates issues and successes to the USA based engineering team, and drives resolution
- Acts as a technical company representative to customers and the general public
- Coordinates and performs demonstrations of the autonomous technology for potential customers
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics Engineering, Computer Engineering, or relevant experience
- Familiarity with principles of mobile robotics
- Outstanding oral and written technical communication skills (English)
- Prior experience with mobile robotics and/or autonomous vehicles
- Experience operating in a Linux environment, including familiarity with common Linux command line utilities
- Basic automotive knowledge
- Mechanical intuition
- Ability to operate and drive May Mobility vehicles
- Valid Japanese driver’s license and clean driving record
- Willingness to undergo a driving record check
- Experience designing and debugging software in C, Python, and Bash environments
Benefits and Perks
- Cash bonus upon successful completion of this project
- Competitive salary and benefits (medical / dental / vision / 401k)
- Meaningful stock incentives and equity refresh program