About The Role
As V.P. Engineering at Materialize, you will lead all of engineering management for an extremely talented, experienced and fast-growing engineering team. At Materialize, engineering management creates an environment that allows engineers to do their best work and grow to their highest potential. You will have multiple engineering managers as direct reports who you will empower to support the broader team. Because the team has a mix of backgrounds and geographic locations, this role requires a balance of execution, adaptability, and empathy.
You will partner with a brilliant group of executives to deliver on Materialize’s ambitious strategic goals. You will report to our CEO and Co-Founder, Arjun Narayan. Arjun was previously an engineer at Cockroach Labs and holds a Ph.D in Computer Science from the University of Pennsylvania. You will work closely with Frank McSherry, Materialize's Chief Scientist and Co-founder, and Nikhil Benesch, Materialize’s Area Tech Lead. Frank was a driving force behind Naiad and created Timely Dataflow and Differential Dataflow. Nikhil was the first engineer at Materialize, building critical parts of the technology’s foundation, working previously at Cockroach Labs. You will also be a close partner to Brent Heeringa, VP of Product. Brent was previously Associate Professor and Chair of Computer Science at Williams College; co-founded Valt in 2017, which was acquired by Dropbox in 2019; built Dropbox Passwords; led engineering for New Products at Dropbox; and has a PhD in CS from the University of Massachusetts.
You will contribute to product and technology strategy and will be responsible for the delivery of the products being built. You will be central to the development and growth of the overall engineering organization.
Most of our engineers are in New York City, but we have engineers in every North American time zone as well as spread across Europe. With effective engineering leadership and infrastructure in place, we could double in size over the next year and will continue to grow well beyond that.
- Serve your team of engineering managers through coaching, mentoring, and management.
- Develop close working relationships with our software engineers.
- Partner with the product organization to help inform and prioritize the roadmap
- Partner with recruiting to create a hiring plan and source, screen, interview, and close engineering candidates.
- Work with cross-functional stakeholders to ensure sustainable, effective delivery.
- Work with tech leads to develop technical roadmaps and manage code quality.
- Work with other department executives to craft and achieve strategic and product goals.
- Foster a culture of execution, quality, and inclusivity.
- Grow the technical expertise and careers of your team members.
- Develop the essential processes and structure needed for the engineering team to consistently deliver.
- 5+ years of experience at a startup managing engineering teams of distributed systems and infrastructure engineers.
- Experience managing a distributed team.
- Substantial hands on engineering experience with one or more of the following: distributed systems, databases, and data infrastructure.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to adapt to different development methodologies.
- Experience building processes to successfully drive an engineering org of more than 30 people to ambitious product delivery deadlines.
- Experience working cross functionally with product management, sales, and marketing.
- Experience hiring engineering managers and software engineers
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
Bonus points for:
- Significant experience using SQL databases, Kafka, and other data infrastructure.
- Background in creating data infrastructure, such as databases.
- Experience building high performance, high availability systems.
- Experience working on a cloud product.
- M.S. or Ph.D in Computer Science.
- Experience managing a remote-first team.
Especially strong remote candidates will be considered. Such candidates will have significant experience leading distributed teams and a demonstrated ability to work with engineers with different levels and backgrounds.
We understand it takes a diverse team of highly intelligent, passionate, curious, and creative people to develop the exceptional product we are building. Our dynamic team has incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, and we take great pride in being an equal opportunity employer.