Named as a Forbes Fintech 50 the last two years in a row, Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our modern card issuing platform, open API, and advanced analytics provide unprecedented control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions and manage payment operations in real-time.
We are a team of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. We power possibilities for our customers by bringing the best talent together in an open and collaborative work environment that rewards creativity and perseverance.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and strives to build a global team as diverse as the markets we serve, staying true to our values to Connect the Customer, Find a Way, Make Simple, Take Risk and Build One Marqeta. We are not expecting any single candidate to meet all job requirements listed below, so please apply. It’s an exciting time to join Marqeta. As we grow, your career and opportunities will grow as well.
The Head of Legal Operations at Marqeta is a strategic leader who drives innovation. They have excellent organizational skills, process design expertise, and a proactive management style While the expectation is that this individual will roll up their sleeves and do the work to ensure operational excellence, they see themselves as a strategic planner. This individual is able to identify, design, implement, and reinforce the processes and systems that allow the Legal & Compliance team of 20+ team members to run smoothly and provide stellar service to our internal and external customers.
- Identify and implement solutions to streamline operations of the Legal & Compliance Teams (manage design, rollout, and training for new tools, systems, and processes).
- Design, track, and report on Legal & Compliance Team’s KPIs and metrics to inform decision making and support senior leadership in developing operational strategies and best practices for Legal & Compliance Team
- Identify, create, and improve processes for workflow requests for the Legal & Compliance Team, focusing on efficiency, scale and operational excellence (e.g. manage incoming requests for legal review and advice, answer questions from the business about working with Legal & Compliance) Budget for and track Legal & Compliance Team spending and financial resources, including outside counsel spend and other vendors, excellent knowledge of Legal Tracker; works proactively with Finance, Accounting & FP&A Teams on budget and spend
- Manage Legal & Compliance systems and vendors such as Salesforce, DocuSign, and Jira
- Develop and maintain forms, policies and FAQs for Legal & Compliance operations
- Train the Legal & Compliance Team and the broader organization on Legal & Compliance processes and procedures (e.g. new hire on-boarding training, new software or process rollout)
- Organize and maintain Legal & Compliance team records, design and manage Legal & Compliance Team’s intranet site
- Facilitate and drive cross-functional relationships with the Team (such as Sales, Finance, HR, Operations)
- 8+ years of experience with legal operations and management in-house (required) and at a law firm (preferred)
- Prior experience developing forms, processes, policies, FAQs, etc
- Demonstrated ability to independently move projects forward by gaining support needed from stakeholders across the company and working in a cross-functional role
- Proven track record of collaborating with cross-functional groups (e.g., Finance, Operations, Sales, IT) to set objectives and produce meaningful results
- Strong experience in developing, implementing, and using legal department technology solutions
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and successfully manage multiple deadlines
- A good sense of humor
- Rich suite of benefit plans; employee premiums paid 100%
- Flexible Time Off
- Full paid Parental Leave
- Pet insurance
- 401k plan with a Company match
- Competitive pay
- Meaningful equity
- Monthly stipend
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation
- Open, transparent culture that includes All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsites, etc.
- Access to corporate gym membership rates, other discounts and employee perks
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays and more!
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.