Magic Leap is seeking a Mechanical Engineering Manager to design precision-engineered production hardware.
The position is expected to perform as a manager of a mechanical engineering team on an interdisciplinary product team through development, design, measurement, and assembly. The mechanical engineering team works closely with electrical, optical, systems, industrial design, and manufacturing teams to design quality, high-volume, consumer products. The Lead Mechanical will direct and coordinate activities involved in design, fabrication, operation, application, testing, and production; Perform highly advanced engineering work and direct junior and senior-level engineers on major projects; Apply engineering principles while designing products and developing testing; Work with discipline-specific development teams to identify technical requirements, scope, features, and risks; Translates customer and regulatory requirements into technical product requirements.
We are looking for candidates who are creative, energetic team players who excel in a fast-paced, hands-on environment
- Manages projects as a hands-on employee using technical and administrative skills to oversee and complete engineering projects. Prototypes mechanical / Opto-mechanical components and assemblies which support interdisciplinary (electrical, software, controls, optics, etc.) projects.
- Provides technical expertise to the interdisciplinary teams (electrical, software, controls, optics, etc.) distributed globally at various design centers
- Leads, advocates, and enforces best practices in design, development, and testing to ensure product manufacturability, robustness, and function
- Works to define and communicate requirements, and provides direction to team members for developing test plans that ensure product requirements are met
- Proficient in developing unique concepts and designs for fixtures, calibration equipment, or production components using 3D CAD (i.e. ProEngineer). The designs should support high volume manufacturing and meet all of the product requirements.
- Design, direct and coordinates the fabrication and installation of calibration apparatus and equipment. Develops methods and procedures for testing products or systems to ensure products and systems conform to engineering and customer specifications.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary teams from design conception through verification testing of the system, ensuring designs are global, scalable, and reliable.
- Research, assess and validate the capabilities of the equipment, technology choices or systems that are to be used in the product development process meet the product requirements. Develops trade matrices to assist in the down selection process.
- Assists in all facets of the regulatory approvals process, including participating in component and system level design reviews, test plan preparation, issue troubleshooting/mitigation.
- Designs, executes and manages tests to collect statistically significant data to ensure technical specifications and product requirements are met.
- Proficient in using computer-based data acquisition and processing; A working knowledge of statistics for data characterization and hypothesis testing is required.
- Leads technical design reviews and critical design reviews representing the concerns of his or her functional specialty on the product development team
- Expert knowledge of high-volume production fabrication methods used in high-tech consumer products including plastics injection mold tooling and die-casting.
- Expert knowledge of CREO, FMEA, tolerance analysis, and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GDT)
- Detailed knowledge of direct machining methods for prototyping.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience building and testing prototype systems in a team environment
- Must be confident in a highly dynamic and creative environment
- Mid-level career experience
Education / Experience
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) in Mechanical Engineering from four-year college or university; eight years related experience and/or training; or Masters and 6+ years’ experience; or Ph.D. and 4+ years’ experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.