The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
We're looking for an Engineering Manager for our DevSecOps teams that build the infrastructure and security practice of our organization. You will be responsible for ensuring the teams are meeting standards for operational performance in the areas of security, availability, productivity, capacity, scalability and efficiency by developing various infrastructure and security services to support our growing platform and backend operations. Some projects might include leading the team's efforts to improve automation, monitoring, infrastructure design, security, as well as migration activities from legacy AWS environments. You will also help support and enable regular software releases and work closely with colleagues in other technical and business disciplines. This role will work closely with other departments such as Support, Customer Service, Product, Engineering, and Sales to ensure a high availability on production systems and will maintain the communication throughout the organization on this availability.
The successful Manager must have knowledge and experience in the DevSecOps domain, including software development, CI/CD, automation, infrastructure orchestration, configuration management, Infrastructure-as-code, AWS cloud solutions, infosec systems and technologies related to these spaces.
A day in the life could include:
- Availability: You will help ensure that the applications are consistently available for end-users to consume.
- Reliability: You will help maintain that the applications are reliably performant when end-users engage with them.
- Security: You will help ensure that the applications meet regulatory and best-practices security guidelines.
- Efficiency: You will help ensure we are utilizing our resources in the most efficient way possible.
- Oversee efficient team delivery, and focus on value delivery.
- Assist leadership in developing, implementing, and monitoring security strategies to achieve the organization’s long-term goals and objectives.
- Develop, track, assess and communicate key performance measures across IT, Data, BI & Security.
- Work closely with Legal to drive awareness of security related trends and key policies (GDPR and PCI) to key stakeholders.
- Oversee and report on performance of engineering team(s).
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or related discipline.
- 3+ years of experience in a similar role or field.
- Broad understanding of technology and modern operating processes, including:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Terraform and infrastructure-as-code
- GitHub, and advanced github actions and workflow integration
- CI/CD Practices
- Monitoring and Observability tooling and best practices.
- Modern InfoSec Practices
- Proficiency in at least one development language.
- Good written and communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate business and technical points to colleagues.
- Fundamental understanding of load-balanced and highly available infrastructure systems.
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.