The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
We are looking for a Claims Counsel to join Kin’s growing Legal and Compliance team. Reporting to the Deputy General Counsel, the Claims Counsel will actively partner with our homeowners claims organization to advise and consult on countrywide claims and lawsuits involving high exposure and highly complex legal issues. You will be responsible for claim support, risk analysis, recommendations and reporting as well as assisting with the litigation for first-party and third-party homeowners and bad faith matters. You also will work with outside counsel to determine litigation strategy, review pleadings and retain new counsel in additional states. You will not act as attorney-of-record but may be present in court on occasion to represent the interests of Kin.
Versatility is a must. You will support the entire claims organization, supervise litigation adjusters, provide legal analysis, risk assessment and recommendations to Claims Management as well as provide day-to-day guidance on legal issues, legislation, compliance and risk mitigation strategies countrywide.
A day in the life could include
- Conference with the pre litigation team to review and discuss served Notice of Intent to Litigate
and/or Civil Remedy Notices.
- Conference with adjusters and supervisors to brainstorm on claim recommendations.
- Research personal lines policy language or coverage issues to provide a legal opinion, for any
state we are writing in.
- Conference with the litigation team and outside counsel regarding case strategy.
- Conference with Claims Management to discuss claim strategies.
- Review claims training materials.
- Review and provide feedback on claims correspondence or litigation documents (pleading or
I’ve got the skills...but do I have the necessary ones?
- JD and undergraduate degrees earned with superior academic credentials;
- Admitted to practice, preferably in Florida;
- A minimum of seven years of experience practicing law, either within a reputable law firm or in-house experience;
- Ability to direct and manage activities of, and relationships with, internal claims adjusters, litigation adjusters, claims leaders and management, and outside counsel;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, communication capabilities, and the ability to influence multiple stakeholders with competing / conflicting interests;
- Proficiency in technology and comfortable working with technology leaders
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Remote Work (due to Covid-19) and flexible work hours
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Onsite gym membership - when we return to the office (Chicago office only)
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.